I'm in high school, I want to do computer science in university. but this thing is bothering me.
hi
I just watched this video:
https://youtu.be/4SiFgB1lGxw?si=N0i_ycGuiP9oX2w0
In this video, the narrator discusses why Stanford's CS curriculum is a piece of crap. like, in the curriculum students have to study geology. I mean what's the point of geology for wanna-be software engineers?
I'm Indian. This shouldn't be a concern as it is much about an American university. Still, to my horror, my chemistry teacher informed me that 90% of the curriculum of IITs (Indian counterpart of Ivy Leagues) has core engineering subjects just like Stanford for the first two years what that means is that I will be taught calculus to newton's physics for a CS major. if that's not weird enough my teacher also said that I would be taught metal cutting and electrical engineering before even touching PCs in 3rd year.
I have planned to go to Germany if I can't make it to IIT, but if Stanford, an Ivy League university, does this, I'm scared that German universities will also have the same subjects.
honestly, if I was aware that these subjects are there in CS programmes, I might have chosen a major like Music or economics.
@ApurvaSingh123 It doesn’t hurt to study other topics outside of your major. It’s actually a better education.
@hopefulPond6108
These subjects might be useful but in THEORY only. I mean, how will Geology, Metal Cutting or Advance Physics help me in any practical sense?
@ApurvaSingh123 You may have to interact with people who are trained in those fields. In addition, knowing something about other fields gives you an appreciation for some of the complexity involved. Such an appreciation actually gives you the potential to be a better citizen. Every university has a set of requirements that students disagree with. Good luck with your studies.