When You Want to Quit, but Can't
“There are some situations in which quitting the toxic job simply isn’t feasible (at least not immediately) or would be detrimental to career development or long-term professional goals. This might be the case if you’re working in a field where jobs are few and far between, in which case quitting would require some degree of long-term planning in order to remain active in a particular profession and continue to earn an income. It might also be the case in limited-time situations, such as internships or apprenticeships, where completion is critical to obtain professional licensure or certification. In such situations, quitting is likely to thwart professional growth and significantly delay the achievement of career goals, making it quite costly, both professionally and financially, to leave.
If you are in a similar situation, here are some strategies to get through the challenges of a difficult work environment:
- Ask your supervisor if there are opportunities to work remotely, even if it’s just part of a day or part of the week. Being away from the challenging environment may go a long way in increasing your productivity and is likely to make the time pass more quickly.
- Establish boundaries when you’re away from work. If possible, turn off your phone and work email notifications when you're not on duty; physically leave your work environment when you have a break or time off; and don't volunteer for extra shifts.
- Create a positive affirmations notebook. Use it to write something positive about yourself every day before leaving for work, and when you’re struggling, remind yourself what you wrote. Then, before bedtime, use your notebook to write down something you accomplished or that you’re proud of from that day, even if it’s just that you got through one more day.
- Make a to-do list and let it guide you. When you’re feeling overwhelmed, it’s hard to focus and get things accomplished. Creating a to-do list will get the swirling thoughts out of your head and onto paper, and as you work through the list, you’ll feel a sense of accomplishment, which should reduce feeling overwhelmed.
- Refuel yourself in as many ways and as often as possible. Eat right. Hydrate. Exercise. Wear favorite outfits. Do something that brings a smile to your face. Create time for yourself and don’t let anyone steal it from you.
If you’re going through difficult period, creating as many positive experiences as you can for yourself can counteract the negativity you’re experiencing at work. Not all of these suggestions will be the right fit for you, but incorporating as many as possible that do work into your daily routine might be the fuel you need to get through it and ultimately move on to a healthier place.”
Read the whole article at Psychology Today
#Stress #Job #Work #Refuel #Createboundaries
💬 What is one thing you can do make time spent at work more manageable?
Did you like this topic? Then you might also enjoy reading the post "How to Deal With a Toxic Work Environment"
@globalBraid3744
What is the one thing you can do to make time spent at work more manageable?
I've discovered that setting a goal and undergoing delayed gratification works well. When I finished college I was a medical technologist; but I felt unfulfilled in my career choice. It was extremely frustrating to realize that I was in the right area I wanted to be in but in the wrong occupation. I decided that to achieve what I wanted out of life I would have to sacrifice some of the things I dearly wanted. And so I became very austere with my life. I saw the light at the end of the tunnel in what I wanted to achieve. It was nowhere easy to do. You have to have perseverance in what you want to get out of life. It took me eight years to finally return to school and become the physician I am today. And I've never looked back. It was a good choice for me. But you have to have inner courage to acquire these skills. It can be done. And now I am less than two years from retirement. I realize this question is for younger people; but maybe my answer will help someone who needs gentle push in the right direction. ❤️