Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Content warning: breakup grief — People describe their thoughts as a voice, mine feels like static

I don’t have a formal diagnosis for this, but I seem to fall somewhere on the spectrum of things like aphantasia (difficulty visualizing things in my mind) and having little to no internal monologue. From what I’ve read, these experiences aren’t always all-or-nothing, and that feels more accurate for me.

I can sometimes consciously create an internal voice, especially when I’m replaying memories, overthinking, or stuck in rumination, but most of the time there isn’t really a running narration in my head. It’s more like blankness or static.

The strange thing is that having less internal dialogue doesn’t mean having fewer emotions. I still experience loneliness, anxiety, sadness, and feeling mentally overwhelmed just like anyone else.

I listen to music a lot. I know listening to sad music constantly probably isn’t always the most helpful thing, but sometimes it feels like music gives a voice to emotions that I already feel but can’t naturally put into words. It’s almost like a soundtrack for feelings that exist somewhere in me but don’t always turn into thoughts.

A lot of this has been especially difficult because my girlfriend and I broke up about 11 weeks ago. It happened pretty quickly. We hadn’t really been intimate for a while, and during that time I was anxious, stressed, and trying to hold everything together. I was even experiencing stress-related heart palpitations, which thankfully have mostly gone away now.

We were together for about a year and seven months. That might not sound like a huge amount of time to everyone, but it was one of my longest relationships. I’m 27, and I’ve always wanted to find someone to build a life with.

I’ve always tried to be loyal, genuine, kind, and understanding. I’m not perfect, and communication can sometimes be difficult for me, but I’ve always tried to be honest about that and work on it.

One thing I struggle with is that not having a strong internal monologue makes certain conversations difficult, especially during emotional or heated moments. I can usually give other people advice, but when I’m put on the spot, my brain doesn’t always immediately organize my thoughts into words.

I need time to process.

Sometimes when someone brings up multiple things at once and expects an immediate response, I freeze. It isn’t because I don’t care or because I don’t have thoughts about it. It’s because I need time for my brain to sort through everything.

I’ve also wondered if this affects how I process information in general. I’m a very technical person. I code, I love learning, and I don’t think I have a bad memory. It feels more like I have trouble retrieving information without the right context.

My brain seems to work through connections, emotions, and experiences. For example, if someone asks me to remember a specific date, I might struggle to immediately pull it out of nowhere. But if they give me a couple details about what happened around that time, everything suddenly clicks and I can usually remember it. It’s like the information is there, but I need the right connection to access it.

Right now, I know I need to figure out who I am outside of a relationship and learn how to be happy being alone again. That’s just really difficult.

I had a lot of plans with my ex, and I genuinely felt like I connected with her more than anyone else before. This breakup has been especially hard because it was also a second chance for us. We had broken up before and eventually got back together.

One of the hardest parts for me has been not really understanding exactly why things ended. She gave me reasons, but I’ve struggled to make sense of them. I know I may never get a complete explanation or the kind of closure I want, and I’m trying to accept that I may have to create my own closure.

When we got back together before, I later learned that there were things happening emotionally that I didn’t fully understand at the time. That made rebuilding trust difficult, and now I find myself wondering what happened this time as well. I don’t want to assume things I don’t know, though. I’m trying not to get stuck endlessly analyzing it because I know that probably won’t help me heal.

A lot of my past relationships have also ended painfully — people walking away, traumatic breakups, or being cheated on — so I think this has brought up a lot of old wounds too.

I feel like I’m pretty self-aware. I started therapy recently, and not long after that I ended up getting a DUI after making a bad decision. I take responsibility for that. I don’t feel like I have a drinking problem, but because of my family history and the assessment I was given, I’m going through additional evaluation and trying to do everything I can to handle the situation responsibly.

I’m trying to put the work in before my court date. I’ve taken the classes, I’m going to therapy, and I’m trying to show that I’m taking responsibility and trying to improve myself.

But it feels like every time I start getting something under control, something else happens financially or emotionally.

Even my apartment feels different now. I got rid of my couch because my ex’s couch was nicer, and when she left, she took it with her. Now I have an empty living room and not really the money to replace it. I know I can look on Marketplace or Craigslist, but even small things like that feel overwhelming right now.

I’m trying to stay off dating apps because I know I need time to figure myself out and learn how to be myself again outside of a relationship.

I do have a good support system with friends, but everyone has their own lives and families, and I understand they can’t always be there.

I’m trying to make positive changes:

  • quitting vaping
  • drinking less
  • going on walks
  • working out
  • taking better care of myself

I’m doing the things people tell you to do, but I still can’t figure out how to make the static go away.

Sometimes I feel like if I just had an inner voice, it would explain why I feel the way I do. I know some people struggle with having too many thoughts, but at least it feels like it would give me some direction.

Instead, I feel like I’m on an island and I never know when the tide is going to rise or fall.

I don’t think I have bipolar disorder or anything like that. My therapist says I have generalized anxiety disorder, and I think depression is probably part of what I’m dealing with too.

I guess I’m wondering if anyone else experiences this spectrum of not having an internal monologue or not being able to visualize things. How do you process emotions when your thoughts don’t naturally form into words? How do you deal with the “static”?

And for anyone who has gone through a breakup where they still love the person but know they need to move forward — how did you get to the point where you stopped missing them?

Any advice, experiences, or just thoughts from people who can relate would be really appreciated.

5
User Profile: pinkCherry1616
pinkCherry1616 July 13th

There is lots of work behind your words. It shows up. Lots to be proud of. I’m proud of you.

4 replies
User Profile: faithfulpinetree
faithfulpinetree OP July 13th

Thank you, I appreciate it

3 replies
User Profile: pinkCherry1616
pinkCherry1616 July 14th

@faithfulpinetree

🙂 you are the one doing the work.

You asked about moving on over someone you still love. I don’t think I can give advice. You can tell me more about how you feel and we can think through it together. I had a close important friend disconnect with me this year. It was difficult. I also couldn’t quite understand the explanation. I chose to keep what it meant for me and what it thought me and accept that I might never find out what has really happened for them.

2 replies
User Profile: faithfulpinetree
faithfulpinetree OP July 15th

@pinkCherry1616

Thank you. That really means a lot.

I think the hardest part is that my head understands it's over, but my heart hasn't caught up yet. I still care about her, and it's hard to reconcile that with how things ended. There are a lot of unanswered questions, and I catch myself wanting closure that I may never get.
1 reply
User Profile: pinkCherry1616
pinkCherry1616 July 15th

@faithfulpinetree I feel I can relate. I think it says something beautiful about you. You are not from the part of the world that just gets angry and shuts people out. Do you want to chat about it more? You can dm me if you want or we can continue a little more here.

load more
load more
load more
load more