Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What do you do when your parents bullies you on playing games

User Profile: Civfan05
Civfan05 December 30th, 2017

hi.

I am 26 year old and I am new here.

Recently my parents think that games are next plague and think that no adult should play it.

They yell at me whenever I am playing Civ 5 and just will not listen to any other reason.

what should I do.

2
User Profile: AlliopeCalliope
AlliopeCalliope December 30th, 2017

@Civfan05

Hello, and welcome!

I can't tell you what to do, but I would offer some things to consider:

1) Your parents might be getting on your nerves, but bullying is probably not the right word, since they are doing this from a place of care about your well-being.

2) How much time are you spending on the game? Is it hours a day? If you live with your parents (as I guess you are if this is an issue), are you helping with chores and errands, and taking time to talk to your family - or do you just stay in your room and play the game without talking to anyone or contributing to the household at all?

There's not really a right or wrong way to handle this, but at 26, you are at an age you should be able to interact with your parents from an adult space. This sounds more like something that would happen as a teenager, and you seem to be reacting to them more like an adolescent than an adult. My guess would be this isn't the only issue between you and your parents, but one way the disconnect between you is being expressed as conflict.

It might be time to talk about boundaries and what the expectations are for you as an adult living in their house. You will need to set some boundaries and be willing to negotiate with them and their expectations so you can all find a middle ground. Feel free to message me if you want to talk more about how to handle these discussions without it becoming a teenager-like argument.

User Profile: michaelfoxfox
michaelfoxfox January 29th, 2018

Completely agree with you. Parents want only good for you. Try to understand it, nobody wont will help you, just do my homework for me.