Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I started training not to escape pain, but to carry it better

User Profile: fancyWriting7274
fancyWriting7274 January 13th

I came to fitness during a rough phase.

Breakup. Loss. Too much going on in my head.

I didn’t feel like talking to people.

But I still needed something that would keep me steady.

Training did that.

Some days I show up angry.

Some days tired.

Some days empty.

But I still show up.

Lifting, running, sweating — it doesn’t erase pain, but it gives it somewhere to go.

It reminds me that even on bad days, I can do one hard thing and finish it.

I’m not here for motivation quotes or a perfect body.

I’m here because discipline feels safer than spiraling.

If fitness helped you mentally too — even a little — I’d like to hear how.

3
User Profile: Lyra
Lyra January 13th

@fancyWriting7274

Hey there, thanks so much for making this thread, really inspiring to hear about your journey. For me, running and swimming is my therapy - I swim outside all year round and breathing through the cold shock has really taught my body to manage anxiety. 

1 reply
User Profile: RunningMachine
RunningMachine January 13th

@Lyra

I swim like a brick. I placed 3rd once in a short triathlon, the swim was across a newly dug man made lake at a local housing development, water level was just below my knees so I simply walked across ð¤ªð¤ªð¤ª

load more
User Profile: RunningMachine
RunningMachine January 13th

@fancyWriting7274

If I didn't know better I would of thought this post was made purposefully for me.

Exercise has always been when I reach my 'happy place' , the metal chatter quietens and I'm at one with the rhythm of my breathing and controlled effort. For many years my passion was cycling, touring then racing, road and time trials. I then spent 20 years as a one of the club coaches and it was awesome to see other riders develop too.

In more recent times I achieved the same results running, multiple marathons and a couple of ultras.

For health reasons I'm now restricted to low intensity controlled moderate sessions every day on a treadmill in the gym hence my screen name. It's not the same but it is empowering in that it helps maintain my health.