Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

me and my girl stella going for a boat ride

User Profile: physiatrist91210
physiatrist91210 April 7th, 2025

Stella and the Salmon: A Day of Sun, Fish, and Friendship"

It was one of those perfect mornings—clear, warm, and full of possibility. The kind of morning where the world seems to slow down, letting you savor every detail. The sun stretched lazily across the sky, casting a golden hue on the water’s surface. The air felt just right—cool enough to breathe in deeply without overheating, but warm enough that you didn’t need a jacket. It was a day made for fishing, and that’s exactly what I had in mind.

Beside me, my dog Stella, a half chocolate Lab, half Pitbull mix, was lying on the soft grass by the lake’s edge. Her eyes were alert, constantly scanning her surroundings. With a coat that gleamed like polished mahogany in the sunlight, she looked every bit the part of the devoted companion she was. But don’t let that peaceful exterior fool you—this dog was a hunter, through and through. She had the instincts of a seasoned predator, and while she was perfectly content to lie next to me today, I knew that if something moved, she’d be on it in an instant.

I cast my fishing line into the water, watching the lure disappear into the ripples with a satisfying splash. I was hoping for a salmon, but the lake was quiet, the fish seemingly content to stay beneath the surface. Hours passed, and the quiet was peaceful in its own way. I didn’t mind the stillness; in fact, I cherished it. The rhythmic motion of casting and reeling, the gentle lapping of the water, and the warmth of the sun all made for a perfect afternoon. Stella seemed to sense the same tranquility. She lay there next to me, her head on her paws, the occasional twitch of her ears showing that she was still as alert as ever.

It had been hours since I’d felt any real action on the line. Nothing. Not even a nibble. But the stillness didn’t bother me. I wasn’t here just for the fish; I was here for the company. For the peacefulness. For the quiet joy of spending time with my dog, my loyal and ever-vigilant companion. We had been through a lot together, and I knew that this was exactly where I needed to be. The walks we shared, the quiet moments in the sun—they were good for both of us. For the body, for the mind, for healing.

And then, just when I’d nearly convinced myself that maybe today just wasn’t the day, it happened.

A tug.

It was subtle at first, just a slight pull on the line, but it was enough to catch my attention. I tightened my grip on the rod and gave a little pull of my own, just to test the waters. Nothing. But then—another tug. Stronger this time. The fish was there. I could feel it. My heart started to race, my adrenaline kicking in. I shifted my stance, preparing for the fight. I wasn’t sure if it was a big fish or just an eager one, but I was ready for whatever came next.

Before I could even set the hook, Stella was already on her feet. She wasn’t just standing up—she was springing into action. Her ears were perked, her eyes locked on the water, and she was already moving. I barely had time to react before she bolted into the lake, her sleek body cutting through the water with the precision of a born hunter. She was faster than I could have imagined, her movements smooth and purposeful. It was like she had sensed the fish before I had. She was a step ahead, as always.

I watched in awe as Stella swam toward the line, her powerful legs propelling her through the water. By the time I’d reeled the fish close enough to shore, she was already there, her mouth snapping shut around the struggling salmon. It happened so quickly I could hardly believe it—Stella had caught the fish before I even had a chance to get it onto land.

“Good girl, Stella!” I called out, my voice full of pride. The sight of her swimming back toward me with the fish gripped firmly in her mouth made my heart swell. She was so proud, and so was I. She trotted out of the water, her fur dripping and glistening in the sun, and gently dropped the fish at my feet. There it was—four pounds of pure victory.

I squatted down, giving her a quick pat on the head, and she wagged her tail happily. I could see the pride in her eyes. She wasn’t just a dog; she was a partner, a true hunter. And today, she’d shown me just how good she was at what she did.

Not bad, I thought. Not bad at all. A four-pound salmon was a solid catch, and having Stella by my side made the victory all the sweeter. I stood up, holding the fish in my hands, and looked down at my girl. I loved her more than words could express. She had been my companion through thick and thin, always ready to protect me, always by my side. She loved to hunt, loved the thrill of the chase, and loved these walks we took together. It wasn’t just the hunting that mattered—it was the bond we shared.

Stella loved these outings as much as I did. Every walk, every adventure was a chance for both of us to heal, to clear our minds, and to reconnect with what mattered most. And in that moment, I realized just how much we both needed these simple, quiet days. They weren’t just about fishing or hunting—they were about us, about the connection we had, and the way our lives intertwined.

We spent the rest of the afternoon soaking in the sun, enjoying the calm, and basking in the warmth of the day. The world seemed to disappear, and it was just me and Stella by the water, as it should be. As the sun began to dip lower in the sky, casting long shadows across the lake, I felt a deep sense of peace. This was exactly what we both needed—time to breathe, time to heal, and time to simply be together.

As we packed up to leave, I gave Stella one last scratch behind the ears, and she leaned into it, content and happy. We had done well today. The fish wasn’t huge, but it didn’t matter. What mattered was that we’d shared this moment. It was just another day in the long line of adventures we’d had together, and I couldn’t wait for the next one.

"Good girl, Stella," I whispered softly. "Good girl."

She wagged her tail once more, and we turned to head home—together, as always.

1769079822176329_1744055753.jpeg

7
User Profile: mytwistedsoul
mytwistedsoul April 7th, 2025

@physiatrist91210 Omgosh I loved reading this! Stella sounds like such an awesome friend and companion! Such a clever girl helping to land that salmon 😊 What a wonderful way to spend the day

User Profile: physiatrist91210
physiatrist91210 OP April 8th, 2025

@mytwistedsoul she sure is and i love her to death my best friend and bandit we get in trouble lots together lol 

User Profile: physiatrist91210
physiatrist91210 OP April 8th, 2025

@physiatrist91210 i am actually a true author i have a few books published on amazon 

User Profile: mytwistedsoul
mytwistedsoul April 10th, 2025

@physiatrist91210 Some of my best adventures were with a furry friend at my side :) Dogs are just so awesome!

An actual published writer! That is so cool! Congratulations! 

load more
load more
User Profile: jesusredeemedme2425
jesusredeemedme2425 April 8th, 2025

Awwww <3

User Profile: TenderSky
TenderSky April 9th, 2025

I read this and thought, @physiatrist91210 must be a writer! This is beautifully written. Reading it helped ease my anxiety. Thank you for sharing!! I loved learning about Stella as well â¤ï¸ð¥¹

User Profile: whoevr
whoevr April 11th, 2025

Hi

Nicely narrated