Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

my doggerel (written while depressed)

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 May 31st, 2023

Did this one today...


LAMENT, MARCH 2023

Stare at the ceiling as the earth whirls blindly in the dark
as you lay there, ears ringing & head pain, as always
as your head hurts, spreading middle girth
Cold inside, halted, without a spark.

The occasional note as your gut slowly drains
from the meal of bolted flour, cheese, olives,
a manmade ration for the bipedal swine herd
Another day ebbs, another evening gains.

Stare at the ceiling as daily you know
Knowing inescapable: you're past the prime
the bald fact, always without tact,
Faded mirror never fails to show.

Staring upward as the ball hurtles in the black
around the hot bright mindless sun,
your stare as unseeing as the rock itself
a captive in a slowly rotting sack.


Feel free to comment, folks. Whaddaya think? I might post more poems here as the inspiration (for lack of a better word) strikes.

318
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP February 28th, 2025

Waking up tired:

The lot of the chronic & old

With no drugs, you're not wired

Nor intrepid nor bold

Yet tasks still must be done

Ere the story can be told

Trudging through rise & fall of sun

For some energy, my weight in gold.

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 March 1st, 2025

Wow, your day sounds like mine. @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP March 1st, 2025

Sorry to hear it, Vase. Those young healthy people have it all, don't they?...yes indeed.

Got this s*** going on, & in a few weeks from now I relocate to my land & start cutting trees again. 🤦🏼‍♂️ 💀

I'm so tired I couldn't even write a decent poem!...

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 March 2nd, 2025

It was a perfectly decent poem. We take it all one day at a time. Reading a good book called Rest is Resistance. @slowdecline48

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP March 14th, 2025

A haiku tonight:

Scale's LCD

Gives me the news: "your slim days

are gone forever."


(It was inspired by the last visit to the walk-in clinic)

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 March 15th, 2025

Did we ever really have slim days? @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP March 15th, 2025

@bestVase7265 I did...they were a while back. 😏

load more
load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP April 26th, 2025

Nightmares disrupt my rest...

Not so much scary as weird.

With sleep the conscious filters shut off

Generating phantoms fear'd.


(That's all I got tonight)

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 April 27th, 2025

Nightmares can be very weird. I don't remember many of mine, but I know that state of disturbed rest well. @slowdecline48

load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP April 26th, 2025

Can you believe the poem in the OP is over two years old?!...Moses with a f***ing man bun, how time flies.

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 April 27th, 2025

Time flies, you are right. But you get to enjoy it along the way. It has been great getting to read all of your poetry. @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP April 27th, 2025

@bestVase7265 Something else that's odd: after all this time, you (anyone, really) are still reading my verse.

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 April 28th, 2025

Of course. I love keeping in contact with people and learning more about them. It's part of my daily schedule. @slowdecline48

load more
load more
User Profile: azurePond
azurePond April 28th, 2025


Moses exists
Translators : Moses had a horn
Other translators : Moses had a halo
@slowdecline48  : Moses had a man bun



Also... Belated Birthday wishes to Doggerel! (Cake with a numerical candle -2 )
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP April 29th, 2025

@azurePond 😆 Someone has to update the Bible for today's audiences, right?...

A while back, I thought about writing out my version of the Torah. Fergit it...way too ambitious. If I ever write anything in that line it won't go further than Genesis, which has enough raw material already. (Imagine Noah trying to build the Ark & gather animals on it in the current year.... Oy vey)

User Profile: azurePond
azurePond April 29th, 2025

@slowdecline48  Can you imagine a Genz Bible? Like—oh my my—the drama, the memes, the chaos! I've been seeing all these insane edits of the Conclave where they introduce the next Pope candidates  like it's a UFC match or a WWE event. And in one video, someone was breaking it down like it was gossip from a reality TV show. It was absolutely wild but now I am just invested because of the drama😭

Also...yeah.. I can picture your unfinished Torah...Noah in 2025 would be dodging building permits, Greenpeace protests..... Oy vey, indeed.

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP April 29th, 2025

[possible cw: the one & only Bill] Decades ago, Cosby riffed on the same thing: Noah: right!/the Ark

User Profile: azurePond
azurePond April 29th, 2025

@slowdecline48 Riiiiight!!!😭😭

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP April 29th, 2025

Imagine getting kicked out of an HOA (& having your home confiscated by the tin-pot junta in charge of said HOA) for building an Ark in your back yard... 😂

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP April 29th, 2025

[cw: religious/historical humor]

Names the Next Pope (Probably) Won't Have

  • Pius XIII*
  • Borgianus I
  • Francis "Frankie" II
  • Gregoryberg I
  • Schnitzelus I
  • Jesus II (obviously)
  • Codimannus I
  • Pisistratus II
  • Julius Caesar II
  • Cloacus I
  • Chrysostom II
  • Tertullian II
  • Ephesus II
  • Constantine (any numeral)
  • Schismaticus I
  • Moses (any numeral)
  • Muhammad (any numeral)
  • Friedmannicus I
  • Nestorius II
  • Konstantinopoulos I
User Profile: azurePond
azurePond April 29th, 2025

@slowdecline48 Pope Hilarius II

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP April 29th, 2025

@azurePond 😂 That's a great one...wish I'd thought of it.

load more
User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 April 30th, 2025

Very funny names. @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP April 30th, 2025

@bestVase7265 Thanks. If there are any where you don't understand what's funny about them, go to Wikipedia & look up "East-West schism"...that'll clear it up for you.

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 May 2nd, 2025

I am a trained European historian who did my master's thesis on travelers to Rome. I am good. @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP May 22nd, 2025

@bestVase7265 Sorry, I forgot. You told me about that a while back... What was your master's thesis about?

load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP May 22nd, 2025

Sweating in the dark,

Smashing insects right & left...

Head spins, chronically.

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 May 24th, 2025

What kinds of insects? It sounds a little like Salvador Dali.

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP May 24th, 2025

Biting flies & mosquitoes, mostly...a flea, whenever I spot one.

I do the laundry; I vacuum out my truck; I keep clean as best I can. But none of it matters because I live in Florida. In the Gulf states, no matter how sanitary you are there will be a few bugs sooner or later.

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 May 26th, 2025

Very true. Florida has a Dali Museum for a reason.... @slowdecline48

load more
load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP July 2nd, 2025

In a motel bed

As the rain spatters outside

Behind A/C drone...

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 July 4th, 2025

Certainly lots of rain out there. It is quite poetic as long as you aren't out in it. @slowdecline48

User Profile: SweetPea321
SweetPea321 July 5th, 2025

bestVase7265 Hello! You're still here. I do wish we could be friends on social media, but I understand the need for anonymity here. I've been sick this past week. I can't hear very good. My ears are clogged or something. I'm waiting to get better and so bored without having the usual company. Anyway... It's nice to see your username here and to know that you are alive (and hopefully well). Take care, Vase.

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 July 6th, 2025

I always see your posts on this thread so anytime you post here I will most definitely reply. I am sorry to hear that you have been sick and are having trouble hearing. I am sure that isn't fun.

My challenge at the moment is my sight. I have to have emergency surgery in another few weeks on my eye so we will see how that goes. @SweetPea321

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP July 6th, 2025

@bestVase7265 Were I a praying man, I would ask God to make your surgery go off without a hitch... Stay calm as much as you can.

load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP July 6th, 2025

@SweetPea321 You're still here too! I thought you stopped coming to Cups a while back... Good to "see" you again, & I hope you recover completely & soon.

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP September 8th, 2025

Distant yelp of fool

On four legs, in the forest...

In the black cold night.

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 September 9th, 2025

That one has lots of interesting imagery within it. @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP September 9th, 2025

@bestVase7265 Thanks....I got inspired while lying down in my truck & trying to sleep. 😏

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 September 11th, 2025

Hopefully you warmed up eventually. @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP September 11th, 2025

Being cold isn't the problem...for now, anyway. The problem was that mutt wouldn't shut his pie hole.

Tonight is different: it is very quiet...even most of the insects are resting. I am trying to but am a bit congested ATM. Pollen sucks. Oh well...it's always something! 🙃

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 September 13th, 2025

That's very true. It is hard to escape when life gets hard. @slowdecline48

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP September 26th, 2025

Whatever occurs,

I always think the same thing:

"Just make it all end."

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 September 27th, 2025

Sending peace. Going through a rough patch myself. @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP September 27th, 2025

@bestVase7265 You're wonderful. But yeah...one of the things I try to remember: nowhere is it written that this life will be all smooth sailing. It seems helpful, because it keeps one's expectations from rising to unrealistic heights.

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 September 29th, 2025

You are absolutely correct. I remember that often. Just sometimes the rough stuff piles a little too high. Extensive eye surgery for me followed by my dad declining into hospice care have been hard. @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP September 29th, 2025

Damn, I wasn't aware of that... Good luck with everything, dear. Eye surgery can be tricky...how successful operations are pulled off, I don't know. But it happens all the time. As for your dad, yeah... 😔 Live long enough & almost everyone ends up in hospice or a care home, or somewhere.

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 October 1st, 2025

Thanks. I agree. He is 93 and is in a good place. I will not mourn his passing greatly because he has had a successful living. But managing everyone else's emotions and the unknown timeline are rougher. Just found out I probably need more surgery on another part of my body yesterday. Ugh. @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP October 1st, 2025

Once you hit your 40's everything starts to slowly fall apart... It sucks.

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP September 27th, 2025

One of these days I'll have to write something more than just haikus...a real poem. The problem is I'm always distracted with other things to do, or having a flareup or sick or...

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 September 29th, 2025

Haikus are also good. They are an art form that I am not good at myself. @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP October 3rd, 2025

"Roses are red

Violets are purple

I have D.I.D.

Sometimes my name's Myrtle"

..

🤪

load more
load more
load more