Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

my doggerel (written while depressed)

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 May 31st, 2023

Did this one today...


LAMENT, MARCH 2023

Stare at the ceiling as the earth whirls blindly in the dark
as you lay there, ears ringing & head pain, as always
as your head hurts, spreading middle girth
Cold inside, halted, without a spark.

The occasional note as your gut slowly drains
from the meal of bolted flour, cheese, olives,
a manmade ration for the bipedal swine herd
Another day ebbs, another evening gains.

Stare at the ceiling as daily you know
Knowing inescapable: you're past the prime
the bald fact, always without tact,
Faded mirror never fails to show.

Staring upward as the ball hurtles in the black
around the hot bright mindless sun,
your stare as unseeing as the rock itself
a captive in a slowly rotting sack.


Feel free to comment, folks. Whaddaya think? I might post more poems here as the inspiration (for lack of a better word) strikes.

318
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP October 8th, 2025

50 trips around

the Sun. What comes with the years:

No sleep, joint pain, gas.

...

That's all there is tonight, folks.

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 October 9th, 2025

I am there with you. The sleep comes and goes. You don't appreciate it until it's gone. @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP October 18th, 2025

@bestVase7265 Nine days later & I thought up a similar haiku, after forgetting about the first one above... 🤦🏼‍♂️ Christ on a f***ing pogo stick.

Gotta write something better than that, somehow....

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 October 19th, 2025

Maybe try to get some inspiration by going outside or something. @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP October 19th, 2025

A poem about trees?... 🤷🏼‍♂️ It's as good an idea as any...maybe I could reinterpret Shakespeare that way...

"The cedar on my eastern border stinks just as nice" 🤪

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 October 21st, 2025

Definitely something different. I like it. @slowdecline48

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP October 22nd, 2025

untitled

Black hot iron, meat sizzling & crackling

Eggs, half of which we tossed...

Learning how to saw through a trunk

And let it fall (gravity can't be crossed)

I would add more lines, if I had 'em

We see the chances & grab 'em.

..

(Had to live up to the thread title)

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 October 23rd, 2025

A very interesting combination of images. @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP October 23rd, 2025

@bestVase7265 Thanks....it was kind of random.

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 October 25th, 2025

You can see connections between the metal of the pan and the truck and the sawing through the truck and the breaking and tossing of eggs. @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP October 25th, 2025

The ones we threw out were a few days past their expiration date. (Yes, really. Not good)

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 October 27th, 2025

I eat stuff past the expiration date all the time. Unless the eggs look broken or the milk smells bad they are usually pretty okay. @slowdecline48

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP November 15th, 2025

Wondering what else to write about...

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 November 16th, 2025

Any intense food experiences lately? Or maybe an animal encounter of some kind? @slowdecline48

load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP November 28th, 2025

Small stones in close-fitting sets...three of them when put together made a gray ovoid with a slick glass section like a dark green sightless eye. It was in my hand as I stood close to a boy I used to know in grade school & stared into his face like a scientist looking through a microscope at a mutated cell...John looked back at me with unnaturally brown eyes full of idleness as I asked him why when the chili hit the fan some people know how to get through it while other people don't...the question puzzled him to the point where he didn't know how to answer me.

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 November 30th, 2025

This almost feels like a story. @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP November 30th, 2025

@bestVase7265 It's what I remembered from a dream.

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 December 2nd, 2025

Interesting dream. Any connections to real life in it? I never remember my dreams. @slowdecline48

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP November 29th, 2025

Why are some healthy

And for others a sick life?

A roll of the dice.

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 November 30th, 2025

But everybody is sick in some way. There are so many ways that we can't see. @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP November 30th, 2025

@bestVase7265 Not everybody. Yes, invisible illnesses are real--I should know. But there are plenty of people out there who live their lives more or less normally. If chronic illness was truly universal, it wouldn't be considered a problem to be solved/eliminated...it wouldn't even be called illness!

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 December 2nd, 2025

True. Some people definitely suffer more than others.

But I find if I focus a little more on possible hidden problems rather than being jealous that someone isn't dealing with a burden like me that I get less upset in the long run. It's just a coping strategy. @slowdecline48

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: happyDreamer8885
happyDreamer8885 November 29th, 2025

@slowdecline48 Love this poem!

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP November 29th, 2025

@happyDreamer8885 Thanks! I take it you meant the first poem?... (Got quite a few of 'em on here)

load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP December 2nd, 2025

My mind has become

a B-movie. The latest

dream: a zombie flick. 🙄

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP December 2nd, 2025
twd-walking-dead.gif
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP December 2nd, 2025

Wake up in a daze

As always. What's different this time:

Raining on the tent.

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP December 5th, 2025

...eit isn't the usual subject, @bestvase7265

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 December 6th, 2025

It is an interesting one. @slowdecline48

load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP December 7th, 2025

The rain on the tarp

In the middle of the night:

The song of autumn.

nature-good-morning-nature.gif

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 December 8th, 2025

We have had lots of rain today too. A combination of being soothed and depressed at the same time. @slowdecline48

User Profile: azurePond
azurePond December 16th, 2025

@slowdecline48 What's a tarp? 

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP December 17th, 2025

@azurePond - click me

(yes, it's safe)

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP December 17th, 2025

One is currently staked down over the tent I'm in

User Profile: azurePond
azurePond December 17th, 2025

@slowdecline48 Ooh.. so... the rain on the tarp.. pitter-patter sound... makes sense.


load more
User Profile: azurePond
azurePond December 17th, 2025

@slowdecline48 ooh the plastic fabric thing they use in the construction sites.. Tarpaulin! (Good to finally know the name)

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP December 25th, 2025

It's the same subject

Over & over again:

A cripple's verses.

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 December 26th, 2025

But the verses do change shape. @slowdecline48

load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP December 27th, 2025

What else can you do

when the game is rigged--& the

only game in town?

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 December 28th, 2025

Move towns? @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP December 28th, 2025

@bestVase7265 ...the verse is metaphorical.

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 December 30th, 2025

I know. So is my response. @slowdecline48

load more
load more
load more