Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

my doggerel (written while depressed)

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 May 31st, 2023

Did this one today...


LAMENT, MARCH 2023

Stare at the ceiling as the earth whirls blindly in the dark
as you lay there, ears ringing & head pain, as always
as your head hurts, spreading middle girth
Cold inside, halted, without a spark.

The occasional note as your gut slowly drains
from the meal of bolted flour, cheese, olives,
a manmade ration for the bipedal swine herd
Another day ebbs, another evening gains.

Stare at the ceiling as daily you know
Knowing inescapable: you're past the prime
the bald fact, always without tact,
Faded mirror never fails to show.

Staring upward as the ball hurtles in the black
around the hot bright mindless sun,
your stare as unseeing as the rock itself
a captive in a slowly rotting sack.


Feel free to comment, folks. Whaddaya think? I might post more poems here as the inspiration (for lack of a better word) strikes.

318
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP January 2nd

When the mudball with water spins away

From the Sun, the days turn & the nights freeze

Your digits cold as a corpse's fingers

As the pain sits in your back & knees...

...

Okay, that's it. I don't have anything else tonight.

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 January 3rd

That's a good one. Lots of nice imagery. @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP January 3rd

@bestVase7265 Thanks. Do you find it relatable? Joint pain is often "chronic illness 💩"...it's also getting old 💩.

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 January 5th

It is relatable and I can understand joint pain getting old. People offer lots of suggestions but that doesn't make it magically disappear. When the weather gets funky, it gets worse. I am sorry that you are suffering. Sending peace. @slowdecline48

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP January 8th

Given today's tech,

the question must be asked: Will

we turn obsolete?

...

(Perhaps it should be rephrased: when will we become obsolete?)

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 January 9th

We can react with fear or hope. I am going to go the hope route because the other path is too dark. @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP January 9th

Good for you...

load more
load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP January 14th

He finds her, she finds him,

She finds her; they all slide in

They find their matches, connections are tied

...while I, as always, am left outside.


User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 January 15th

This one was really artistic. Though I am sad about the message (and question the idea of always), I like the way in which you created and thought through how to present your emotions. You are talented. @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP January 15th

@bestVase7265 Thanks...yeah, I get that a lot. (The "you're talented" part)

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP January 15th

@bestVase7265 If you want, you can find the inspiration for that verse in the journal.

load more
load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP January 16th

This place, here & now

matches my inner world well:

Cold, lightless, silent.

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 January 17th

It sure is cold, but a little windy too. Maybe things are less silent than you think. @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP January 29th

@bestVase7265 Things are never entirely silent to me, what with the ringing in my ears... Sometimes I wish I could have the main aural nerves severed. Deafness would be the result...& I wouldn't have to hear it anymore. Or hear any other noises. That would be great.

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 January 31st

That must be tough. It would make it very hard to concentrate. @slowdecline48

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP January 27th

I sent him back out

after meeting months ago...

Hoping he's okay,

not frozen to death out there

in a dark alley somewhere

..

(A tanka, not a haiku)

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 January 29th

Hope and care are good things. But still sending some peace. @slowdecline48

load more
User Profile: quietreadinggirl
quietreadinggirl January 31st

@slowdecline48 This was powerful to read and amazing what you wrote to get out of you. I hope you are doing well and thank you for sharing this with us. 🙂🤗

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP January 31st

@quietreadinggirl Thank you for the compliments & good wish.

load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP February 4th

[cw: adult subjects]

...

more doggerel

I used to hang in the scenes at night

Was into the girls & the colored lights

All things change in the flow of time...

Behind the flash: mostly 🐂💩 and grime

Their fuel: alcohol and powdery lines

...these days I'm usually home by nine.

(Dunno what else to do with the rhyme) 😵

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 February 6th

May have been adult subject somewhat but it still make me smile somehow. @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP February 6th

Then I'm glad it did some good... Was it the last line that made you smile? Unless I'm depressed & writing something, I don't take poetry all that seriously. 😄

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 February 8th

Yup. I am a 9:00 person myself. @slowdecline48

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP February 9th

The brain whirls around

Ears like two jammed doorbells

I am useless meat.

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP February 14th

Every year it is

The same-ol: cold to pollen

to warm, hot, rain, cold.

Rinse & repeat. Nothing new

in Nature's mindless routine.

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP February 17th

Only one wrong move

to ruin lovely order:

Chaos hits your life


User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 February 20th

Very true for me the last few weeks. @slowdecline48

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 OP February 20th

You too?...I feel for ya, Vase.

The necessity of order & dislike of chaos have come to influence me more & more in recent years.

User Profile: bestVase7265
bestVase7265 February 22nd

Trying not to beat myself up too hard for inadvertently causing the chaos to erupt. @slowdecline48

load more
load more
load more