Healthline: Working Nights? Try Eating During the Day to Protect Your Mental Health
“People undergoing simulated night shift work who ate both during the day and at night saw an increase in symptoms of depression and anxiety, a new study found.
However, those who ate only during the day were apparently protected from the worsening of mood symptoms.
This suggests a possible way to improve the mental health of the millions of Americans who work evening, rotating, or on-call shifts, although more research is needed outside the sleep laboratory. Night shift work causes a misalignment between the body’s circadian rhythm — or 24-hour internal “clock” — and a person’s sleep/wake cycle. This can increase the risk of obesity, metabolic syndrome, and type 2 diabetes.
Studies also show that night shift workers have a higher risk of poorer mental health, including greater symptoms of depression and anxiety. “Our findings provide evidence for the timing of food intake as a novel strategy to potentially minimize mood vulnerability in individuals experiencing circadian misalignment, such as people engaged in shift work, experiencing jet lag, or suffering from circadian rhythm disorders,” study author Frank A. J. L. Scheer, PhD, director of the Medical Chronobiology Program at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, said in a news release.”
Some Insights From This Article
In a study involving people who work night shifts, it was found that people who did all their eating during the day were less likely to develop adverse mental health disorders such as anxiety and depression.
In general it was found that those who work the night shift suffer from impaired circadian rhythms as our bodies’ natural tendency is to be asleep during dark hours and awake during the night.
This often manifests itself through poorer physical health such as increasing likelihood of developing metabolic disorders such as diabetes/obesity but also poorer mental health outcomes as well, increasing likelihood of developing depression, anxiety and mood disorders.
Have you ever worked through a night shift? Or have you ever felt the effects of a mismatched circadian rhythm?
Full article is here!
#Eating #Sleep #NightShift
@sunnyWriting4806
I've worked the night shift for decades. And I've discovered it is extremely difficult to sleep during the day. My circadian rhythm is off kilter and it does effect my moods greatly. I work hard to maintain my balance while doing my job. I eat very little during my shift. I usually eat in the mornings and give myself an hour before sleeping to allow myself to relax and calm down. De-stressing is one adjustment I make every morning when I come home. So I do try to keep to a schedule of normalcy as much as possible.❤️
@sunnyWriting4806
This was such interesting research! I never worked night shifts, but I will definitely try to spread the word so more people know what they can do to protect their mental health. I really admire everyone working night shifts - it is very demanding.