Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Psychology Today: Are You Dealing with Social Burnout?

User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 July 13th, 2022

"What is social burnout? Much like regular burnout, it consists of feeling stressed, anxious, overwhelmed, irritable, and disconnected. It’s describes the feeling that no matter how much we do socially, we can’t keep up and end up feeling drained.

With COVID restrictions lessened, we now have the opportunity to do many of the things we haven't been able to do in a long time: weddings, graduations, birthday parties, trips, concerts, festivals, parades, and so on. That’s a lot of postponed events.

Many of us are now overscheduling ourselves without realizing the ramp-up period we might need to cope with increased social commitments.

The more burnout we experience, the less cognitive flexibility we have, and the more likely we are to go with inertia—which in this case means saying yes to more social events, which makes us feel more exhausted and guilty, which then breeds more burnout. In addition, for some people, the more we engage socially, the less rewarding it can become.

Same with social rewards. The first few events tend to feel great: you chat with new people, you get to know them, you laugh, maybe even you even flirt with someone. But when you have gone to multiple similar events in the same week, it starts to feel draining.

Here are my 3 suggestions, based on strategies from cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT):

1. Prioritize.

Write down a list of all your activities and then categorize them into “must go to,” “nice to go to,” and “total stretch.” The goal is to make sure you get to most of the “must go to’s” and the occasional “nice to go to’s.”

2. Put it on the calendar.

The second piece of advice is to put everything on a calendar. But the key is to visualize it as monthly.

This is because when we look at a calendar week-by-week, it can be easy to assume this is the one week we’re busy and tell ourselves we’ll have time to unwind later in the month. Or we might end up saying yes to four different plans two Saturdays from today without even realizing it. So by putting all your social events on a calendar and adding visibility into the future, you can better evaluate how and when you might be overdoing it.

The calendar also allows you to create buffers.

3. Set up flexible expectations.

Not only is it super important to prioritize and calendar social activities, but also it is essential that you set flexible expectations.

make sure to create space for yourself, to make room for things to be a bit different. It’s going to take time to get back to socializing in the way we used to.

Try to create more flexible expectations. This might mean changing the types of activities you try to do or shortening the time you are completing activities with others, or reducing the number of people you spend time with during each activity.

When you are flexible with your expectations surrounding social events, you take power away from the burnout, and, who knows, you might also end up surprising yourself."

Read the full article here!

Reflection:

Have you ever had to cancel events because of social burnout or feeling completely overwhelmed being in social situations? How did you cope?

*I feel this way often. I'm quite introverted and one full day of social interaction makes me want to clear off my other social commitments for the whole of next week. I don't cancel but I just power through it which makes it quite unenjoyable*

#Burnout #Relationships #SocialInteraction #SocialEvents







7
User Profile: professionalVision2624
professionalVision2624 July 13th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463

What an amazing article post! Thank you so much for sharing! And to answer your question, Yes, I have! I'm an introvert and I often feel overwhelmed and I do feel a kind of social burn-out when I'm required to be social for longer periods of time. This often happens at larger family gatherings when celebrating holidays. How I cope with it is to go upstairs and spend time with my kitten for 10 minutes at a time to get a break away from socializing every second when being downstairs in a family and relatives gathering scenario. Other than that I try to choose a table where I know someone likes to talk a lot and I can sit quietly and listen without being at the center of attention. Regarding the need to cancel, it has happened mostly if I'm supposed to attend a social event where I don't know anyone and I get tired just thinking about it.


2 replies
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP July 15th, 2022

@professionalVision2624 I relate to this so much. I love escaping social situations for a while to 're-charge'. After that, I get the energy to go back and socialize. If I don't get that break, I tend to sometimes zone out during conversations. Thanks for sharing!

1 reply
User Profile: professionalVision2624
professionalVision2624 July 19th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463

Yes exactly! I'm happy you could relate to this feeling of "needing to re-charge" after a social situation! Thank you once again for sharing this amazing article! I'm sure this will help people to relate and reflect on what they do if they feel overwhelmed and find new strategies to cope.

load more
load more
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 July 14th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463

I find myself in the opposite situation. I often have to create social events and gatherings to find myself from burning out from the solitary work that I do at home and at my career, but I totally understand that this burn out sensation comes from the same place.

3 replies
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP July 15th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806 I can relate to this. It's the holidays right now and I have to actively make plans otherwise I would have 0 social interaction. But when the semester starts, I would be completely burnt out socially with all the events our college organizes.

2 replies
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 July 16th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463

Opposite problems whether it be in school or out of school. At the end of school I find myself desiring that alone time by myself. Near the end of break I want to go out and have social interaction. Haha!

1 reply
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP July 19th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806 same here. I would be too tired to function at the end of classes. Definitely need a long break then.

load more
load more
load more