Psychology Today: The Awesome Psychology of Awe

“It suddenly struck me that that tiny pea, pretty and blue, was the Earth. I put up my thumb and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth. I didn’t feel like a giant. I felt very, very small.”
“These are the words of Neil Armstrong, reflecting on the sight of looking down on Earth from the moon, 239,000 miles away (NASA, 2017). He was experiencing the overview effect, a psychological phenomenon that has been noted in astronauts reporting an “overwhelming emotion and feelings of identification with humankind and the planet as a whole” (Yaden et al., 2016).
This awe-inspiring experience is not solely one of positive appreciation and wonder, however. It is tinged with an eye-opening sadness, fear, and recognition of vulnerability. There are several interesting questions to be asked here. Why does such a breathtaking view prompt fear and vulnerability, rather than our traditional expectation of excitement in the face of something truly awesome? How is it that we have a built-in psychophysiological response to something as far removed from our life on Earth as space travel? Why do we experience awe in the first place—does it have any benefits?
The answers to all of these questions are rooted in our biology and evolutionary past. We did not always have the capacity for experiencing complex emotions like awe—most animals do not—yet all such complex emotions are created from the building blocks of more evolutionary ancient phenomena.
Awe is a mysterious phenomenon; it is "the sublime" which puzzled philosophers for ages. Yet thanks to modern advancements in neuropsychology, grounded in evolutionary theory, it can be understood as a complex adaptive emotion arising from a combination of more fundamental approach and avoidance motivations. Experiences of both fear and wonder are well-understood, and at times, they uniquely overlap to give us that truly awe-inspiring combination of vulnerability and interconnectedness.
The benefits of experiencing awe are not limited merely to the sublime feeling of wonder, or even to the lifestyle changes that may occur as a result of re-evaluating one’s priorities, such as smoking cessation. It is a shift of perspective that promotes ethical concern, open-mindedness, prosociality, and generosity. Awe is therefore not only a valuable experience for the individual but a prerequisite for our collective sociological and psychological well-being. Best of all, it can be induced at will through simple mindfulness exercises, such as reflecting on nature or gratitude, in a manner that will literally change your brain, body, and behavior. The benefits of awe are truly awesome.
Summary
- Awe can be understood as a complex adaptive emotion arising from a combination of fear and wonder.
- Experiencing awe promotes ethical concern, open-mindedness, prosociality, and generosity.
- We can experience awe not only by encountering something awesome, but through practicing mindfulness."
Read the whole article here
#Awe #Well-being #Emotions
💬 Have you ever felt awe? How would you describe this experience?
@globalBraid3744
One time I went at dawn to the beach with my friends and was able to see the beach at sunrise with basically no one around. It had to be one of the most amazing times of my life, I was simply just staring at the horizon almost dumbfounded. I never could forget that experience and I have many many pictures stored on my camera to remind me of that time.
@sunnyWriting4806 I have to say that I had a similar experience where I watched the sunrise with my dad and my sister. It was incredible and there was almost no one on the beach. The other time I was in awe was when I enteredt the stadium for my Harry Styles concert 😂 We had floor seats and I took a video of me walking in and all you hear in the background is "Woooooow this is amazingggg" HAHA
@fruityPond7887
This sounds amazing!! I would also like to go to the Harry Styles concert. I like his music. Some concerts have a really great atmosphere, especially when the singer engages with the audience.
@globalBraid3744 Yes you're so right! He is such an amazing performer too! ❤️
@fruityPond7887
I definitely need to visit a concert once! It can definitely be a surreal experience.
@sunnyWriting4806 Do you listen to Ed Sheeran? His concert was almost hypnotic!
@fruityPond7887
Wow, really? You seem to like going to concerts so much. What did you like about Sheeran´s concert the most? Was it somehow different from other concerts you went to?
@globalBraid3744 I think the way his lights were set up really were so amazing! I also really love that he mainly does all the music himself. There's no band behind him and it's just him and the guitar!😍