Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Psychology Today: The Key to Behavior Change Is Identity Change

User Profile: professionalVision2624
professionalVision2624 June 14th, 2022

Psychology Today: The Key to Behavior Change Is Identity Change

6no-oYtnp7ngeRPYBhuOodZFs9pnNn3avjf4UMNbRW7N9OqGNAKKX1qGlCUWAyQvYqOVBzi22qFZqeSKypXMOkpMDaUvDo6pdALPmoYnnb-HwZLwZiIFs2Dcn3Vb0hrWdQJP794PgNWLmLiGbw

Image source: NirAndFar


“One of the most effective ways to change your behavior is to change your identity. Our perception of who we are—our identity or self-image—has a dramatic effect on our future actions. Self-image is a cognitive shortcut that helps our brains make otherwise difficult choices in advance, thereby streamlining the decision-making process.


Start by identifying the behavior you want to stop. Talking to others about your identity pact keeps you accountable to your mission; it encourages others to join in and helps you stick to your plans. The more you stick to your plans, the more you reinforce your identity, and the easier changing your behavior becomes.


Making identity pacts can empower us to become the people we want to be. Whether the behavior is related to what we eat, how we treat others, or how we manage distraction, this technique can help mold our behavior to fit our values. Many people assume their identities are fixed. In fact, your self-image is flexible. Thinking of yourself in a particular way is a habit, and habits can be changed for the better.”

Read the full article here!

Reflection:

The main thing I learned is that the psychology of my self-image is crucial to transforming my habits and is something I will remember. Changing habits is never easy but I do hope I and the people reading this post will be able to change an old and bad habit into something better!


What behavior would you like to change and why?


#Change #Perception #Identity #Self-Image #IdentityPact

4
User Profile: globalBraid3744
globalBraid3744 June 15th, 2022

@professionalVision2624

This sounds interesting! When I read the first sentence *One of the most effective ways to change your behavior is to change your identity*, I was pretty confused as changing identity seems more difficult to me than other techniques to change our behavior. However, afterward, the article clarifies what we are actually talking about is the self-image that is flexible!

One behavior that I want to change is to spend less time on the internet and find more hobbies that do not involve screens. My work includes working on the computer and even after, I usually spend my time studying on my computer, reading articles online, etc. which is not the best for my eyes and overall health.


1 reply
User Profile: professionalVision2624
professionalVision2624 OP October 25th, 2022

@globalBraid3744

Mhhh yes I understand :( It can be really straining and tiring for the eyes to look at screens all day long <3. I'm happy you enjoyed reading the article and sharing your personal expereinces! <3

load more