Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

ScienceDaily: Mindfulness meditation reduces pain by separating it from the self

User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 July 9th, 2022



For centuries, people have been using mindfulness meditation to try to relieve their pain, but neuroscientists have only recently been able to test if and how this actually works. In the latest of these efforts, researchers at University of California San Diego School of Medicine measured the effects of mindfulness on pain perception and brain activity.

The study, published July 7, 2022 in PAIN, showed that mindfulness meditation interrupted the communication between brain areas involved in pain sensation and those that produce the sense of self. In the proposed mechanism, pain signals still move from the body to the brain, but the individual does not feel as much ownership over those pain sensations, so their pain and suffering are reduced.

"One of the central tenets of mindfulness is the principle that you are not your experiences," said senior author Fadel Zeidan, PhD, associate professor of anesthesiology at UC San Diego School of Medicine. "You train yourself to experience thoughts and sensations without attaching your ego or sense of self to them, and we're now finally seeing how this plays out in the brain during the experience of acute pain."

Some Insights From This Article

  • Mindful meditation seems to affect the connection between pain and the areas that control perception of self. Practicing mindfulness may therefore lead to lesser feeling of ownership over pain and suffering leading to alleviation.

  • In a study between two groups, the group that practiced mindfulness reported a ~ 32% reduction in pain sensation when exposed to painful stimulation.

  • The takeaways from this article are important when regarding possible alleviations for those living with chronic pain. A simple trick of mindful meditation can go a long way in helping us manage our days and our pains!

Do you practice any form of mindfulness/meditation? What do you find beneficial about them?

Full article is here!

#Mindfulness #Meditation #Pain

6
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 July 9th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806 The way I practice mindfulness is by speaking affirmations to myself and by practicing gratitude. When I am feeling anxious, I will tell myself to breathe or that it won't last forever. I also like to remember the good times when I am not feeling anxious and that I will feel that way again!

1 reply
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP July 9th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

That's a great way to approach it! Always understanding that time moves forward and is the best medicine for everything. Thanks for sharing!

load more
User Profile: globalBraid3744
globalBraid3744 July 9th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806

I have not thought about the possibility that mindfulness could help with pain but it makes sense after reading the article.

I like to practice mindfulness as a way of reminding myself to be more at the moment. It helps me to be less stressed and to get some time without having to think about my worries. It used to be very difficult to enjoy my time off as I always kept thinking about work, school, etc. However, thanks to mindfulness, now it is easier for me to do it without feeling guilty about having a break.

1 reply
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP July 9th, 2022

@globalBraid3744

Honestly same, I haven't been practicing mindfulness as much as I need to be lately. But I do notice the time I do it brings a lot of understanding and clarity in the moment.

load more