Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Science Daily: Pandemic lockdowns had severe mental health consequences for women in the developing world

User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 April 2nd, 2022

"While potentially crucial to preventing the spread of COVID-19, lockdowns are associated with increased rates of depression and anxiety as well as food insecurity among women in India and other parts of the developing world, according to a new research.

The study from the University of California San Diego's School of Global Policy and Strategy finds that women whose social position may make them more vulnerable -- those with daughters and those living in female-headed households -- experienced even larger declines in mental health as a result of lockdowns.

The paper surveyed 1,545 households over the phone in various rural regions throughout Northern India. The surveys took place in fall 2019, before the pandemic and in August 2020, near the height of the first COVID-19 wave in India. Certain villages and districts had varying containment policies, which allowed the researchers to compare health outcomes of women who experienced lockdowns for several months to those who experienced zero levels of lockdowns.

For surveyed women, moving from zero to average levels of lockdowns is associated with a 38 percent increase in depression, a 44 percent increase in anxiety and a 73 percent increase in exhaustion.

"Not having access to access to work and socialization outside the home can be very detrimental for women's mental health in developing countries," said study co-author Gaurav Khanna, assistant professor of economics at the School of Global Policy and Strategy.

The pandemic resulted in dramatic losses of income for women. In the survey, roughly 25 percent of households reduced the number of meals consumed, compared to a normal month. However, these declines primarily impacted women because in many cultures throughout the developing world, women's food intake is the first be limited when food is scarce.

While the findings focus on the developing world, they have implications for women all over the world who experience lockdowns.

"We suspect the impact in the U.S. on women and mothers in particular was also exacerbated," Khanna said. "When kids are not in school, or daycare, the burden usually falls on women because of traditional gender roles with child care. Policymakers should be cognizant of the fact that women are going to be impacted differently by these policies.""

*I really like this study that was conducted by UCSD because it can show us how broad the implications may be for women outside of the women that were interviewed for the study. The study was done in a developing country, but I think that the main idea can be applied to women all over the world who were affected by COVID-19. I'm sure it wasn't easy for women who had to work, but there was no childcare. I know we try and fight against gender roles, but I really do believe that they are still present, in all aspects of the world. It made me sad to read that women are first affected when there are food shortages. I only hope studies like this continue and the government is more helpful to their people.*

#Women #MentalHealth #Lockdown

Read the full article here.







20
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP April 2nd, 2022

What do you think the findings of this study could say for the greater population? What impacts did the COVID-19 have on you and your mental health?

User Profile: globalBraid3744
globalBraid3744 April 2nd, 2022

This was a very insightful article, thank you for sharing! It was shocking to read that women's food intake is the first to be limited when food is scarce. I have never heard of that despite that I am involved in a human rights organization where we discuss these issues. We had one presentation by an expert that is researching female circumcision. She said that the number of girls being circumcised and also the number of child marriages increased hugely due to pandemics. Many families do not want to do that but feel there is no choice because of a lack of money for necessities like food. I think studies like this are important because they can highlight social issues that need to be addressed.

I am not a mother yet and live in a developed country, so Covid-19 has not affected me much. However, I still think that this issue is important to talk about. What about you? How has it affected your life/mental health?


User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP April 4th, 2022

@globalBraid3744 Thank you so much for your wonderful response and that's really amazing that you are involved in a human rights organization! That's awesome! Female circumcision is a horrific thing and I've watch a documentary on it before. It's horrible. May I ask why female circumcision has increased during the pandemic? As horrible as it is, I can see that they get money for marrying their children off but what purpose does circumcision serve the family?

I am in the same boat with you in regards to how Covid has affected me. I do not have children, but I was in school and had to come home because of it. I had to finish my semester at home on the computer and everything was just turned upside down. My mental health was in the toilet because I'm a really social person and not seeing anyone was really hard. I am just happy things are better now. Thank you for asking ❤️

User Profile: globalBraid3744
globalBraid3744 April 5th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

As an introvert, I did not have that problem of missing human interactions because the online meetings were enough for me and more time-efficient haha. However, I see how much it impacted extroverted people who really need real-life contact with friends and peers.


Regarding female circumcision, it is intertwined with marriage. The speaker said that it is because they do not have money and need to marry their daughter soon. In some areas, a man would not marry a woman that is not circumcised. Usually, they can also increase the bride price by doing it. Another factor was that because she stays at home, she has more time to recover without missing other responsibilities.


User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP April 7th, 2022

@globalBraid3744 I totally understand how the online meetings are more time-efficient! Pajamas pants for the win!

Thank you for giving me more information regarding female circumcision. It's horrible that these poor girls have a value placed on them, with it being higher if they are circumcised. Our world needs changing.

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 April 2nd, 2022

@fruityPond7887

This is a super interesting read. I think its very interesting to see the gender specific experience and effect the pandemic and quarantine period had. There are some universals to take out of this article too, mental health issues skyrocketed during the pandemic as many people had higher incidence of experiencing depression and anxiety.

User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP April 4th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806 Definitely! I know the Crisis Text Line was at an all-time high and I'm sure suicidal ideations were as well. It was such a hard time for all of us.

load more
User Profile: GentlyHarsh
GentlyHarsh April 3rd, 2022

All of this is based on qualified data. In science (not the bought and sold kind), data can be quantified or qualified. The former means measurable by a number, and the latter means that it is based on presumption.

The CDC (quietly) admitted that all the statistics are based on a non-isolated virus--they have never measured it, and the numbers you see in statistics are based on presumptions.

Similarly, the CDC also created a separate code for doctors to use in cases of "suspected" cases of Covid. You've heard of this but only in the light of idiots on TV trying to mock highly intelligent people like me who try to tell you about this. Anyways, they never make a distinction for this in the "death statistics".

The people who know this whole thing is overblown at best, or an outright lie at worst, are far more intelligent than the people just accepting what the 6 owners of the major media companies (whose major sponsors are pharma companies). You should listen to us before your gullibility causes more of a stampede towards an evil one-world government.

Please heed superior information, and do what I do every day: admit that you've been manipulated. It will make you a lot smarter a lot quicker.

User Profile: GentlyHarsh
GentlyHarsh April 3rd, 2022

I meant to say:

"...what the 6 owners of the major media companies (whose major sponsors are pharma companies)...are saying."

User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP April 4th, 2022

@GentlyHarsh

Hi. Thank you for your response!

I understand that this pandemic has been like nothing we've ever seen before and trying to figure all the data and everything out has been really hard. As someone who majored in biology in college and has worked in a research lab for a number of years, I understand how science and data are collected and analyzed. Both quantitative and qualitative data are important in understanding the whole realm of a science issue at hand. I understand being hesitant with the data presented by the media. Deaths "by the virus" are hard to understand because many people had co-morbidities" and the death could've resulted by a variety of things, not just COVID or say, cancer or obesity. With that being said, I have taken the death count with a grain of salt but that does not negate the enormous and horrific effects this pandemic has had on the world. I am positive the government is not going to these small villages and paying off these women to say that they were having a harder time. Qualitative data is important because it allows different perspectives to be given by a variety of people. We were all affected by this pandemic and while I understand what you are saying, the pandemic was still a really difficult time for so many people.

User Profile: GentlyHarsh
GentlyHarsh April 4th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

I don't quite see your central point, truth be told. But I think you gather mine, correct me if I'm wrong.

User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP April 4th, 2022

@GentlyHarsh My point is that while we may not know everything going on regarding this virus, that doesn't down play the struggles people have had in both the developed and developing worlds. I don't think the point of my article was to discuss the government's play in the pandemic.

User Profile: GentlyHarsh
GentlyHarsh April 4th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

Gotcha.

The struggle is real.

The causes... not always so. I sympathize with everyone who has been negatively impacted by the virus authorities, no matter WHO they are. Everyone except perpetrators of this heinous pandemic crime-in-progress.

User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP April 4th, 2022

@GentlyHarsh I agree with you there. Our officials all over the world definitely should've and should continue to provide more support to their people.

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: Relentlesssadness
Relentlesssadness April 4th, 2022

@fruityPond7887 Doesn't affect men's mental health at all....

User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP April 4th, 2022

@Relentlesssadness

Hi! I hope you are doing well!

I want to clarify that this was only one study done! Just because I posted this article doesn't mean that I want others to think that men's mental health wasn't affected at all! In fact, I posted an earlier article that was specifically about men's mental health here: https://www.7cups.com/forum/CommunityProjectsEvents_184/ArticlesandQuotes_2369/WhyMenStrugglewithTheirEmotions_273709/ If you were interested in further reading, here is an article that specifically explores men's mental health during the pandemic: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8267042/#:~:text=Men's%20Mental%20Health%20in%20the,et%20al.%2C%202020). I hope this is helpful! 😊

load more
User Profile: GentlyHarsh
GentlyHarsh April 5th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

Glad to hear! I suppose the only thing I would add is that what I wish is much more that they would stop doing things in the name of helping people.

User Profile: GentlyHarsh
GentlyHarsh April 5th, 2022

The "blankets with small pox" meme comes to mind. . .

User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 OP April 7th, 2022

@GentlyHarsh You got that right. People say they are "helping others" when really it is purely for their own purposes. Thank you for sharing!

User Profile: GentlyHarsh
GentlyHarsh April 9th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

And thank you!

load more
load more