Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

ScienceDaily: Why Teams Sports May Be Better for Your Child's Mental Health Than an Individual Sport

User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 June 2nd, 2022

““There are many components of team sports that are beneficial for children,” Dr. Julian Lagoy, a psychiatrist with Mindpath Health in San Jose, California, told Healthline.

“One benefit to children of participating in a team sport is how to deal with other people, but it is also about learning how to be a leader and to be a part of something greater than yourself,” she said. “Being on a team holds an individual accountable to everyone else on the team, even as children.”

However, Lagoy said the dynamic can go both ways.

“In some ways, it is easier to lose when you are on a team because you will not have all the culpability,” Lagoy explained. “It can be the case that if you make an error that costs your whole team a victory, the pressure can end up being much worse. However, when you lose or win on a team you will share it with others, which can make the losses more bearable and the wins that much more enjoyable.”

Jillian Amodio, a social worker and founder of Moms for Mental Health, told Healthline she’s seen both team and individual sports benefit children.

“Sports, in general, provide an opportunity to learn problem-solving, build confidence, build strength, and to lead a healthy lifestyle,” Amodio said. “While team sports offer opportunities to learn how to work collectively and collaborate with teammates, it doesn’t necessarily make them better or worse than individual sports.”

“Individual sports such as horseback riding, skating, swimming, or martial arts still have collaborative aspects to them,” Amodio noted. “It also comes down to interests and preferences. Being good at something is not the same as loving it. One major factor about involvement in any kind of physical activity that should never be overlooked is the enjoyment factor of it all. A sport should be fun. It should be something that the participant views as a positive aspect of their life.”

“Pressure comes in many forms,” she added. “The pressure of a team or the pressure to perform well for a team is really no different than the pressure to perform for one’s own sense of satisfaction. We are all motivated by and for different things, and it again comes down to personal preference and personality traits.”

Stacy Haynes, a therapist at Little Hands Family Services in Turnersville, New Jersey, agrees the benefits can depend on the individual child.

“As a therapist for autistic children and children with anxiety, individual sports are best,” Haynes told Healthline. “Neurodiverse children often struggle in team sports due to their own perceptions of the game, their teammates, social pressures, etc.”

“Therapists will actually recommend individual sports such as track, tennis, swimming, and karate for youth who have neurodevelopmental differences that interfere with their ability to play sports,” he noted. “(For example) kids who have low frustration tolerance with teammates (and) youth who have anxiety performing in front of others or letting down their team. Even sensory concerns in team sports can make it difficult for youth to participate ex. loud crowds, teammates shouting.”

“Not all sports are created equal and neither are our children,” she noted.”

Full article is here!

Did you engage in team sports as a child? What did you enjoy about it if you had?

#Sports #Team #Childhood

6
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 June 3rd, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806 I did a variety of different team sports as a kid. I honestly hated all of them because I just hated being outside in the heat 😂 I don't remember a lot of them because I was so young but I did enjoy the aspect of having friends with a similar hobby of mine. I did volleyball and actually enjoyed that one so it was nice sharing those moments with the other girls.

User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP June 4th, 2022

@fruityPond7887

I recently did an amateur volleyball tournament with my friends which we won. something about volleyball makes you so close to your team like no other haha!

User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 June 5th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806 That sounds so fun!! Congratulations to you and your team! I think it makes everyone so much closer because you are forced to work together, I think more so than other sports! You constantly need to keep an eye on each other and your moves!

load more
load more
User Profile: globalBraid3744
globalBraid3744 June 4th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806

This is a great article and I can definitely see the benefits of a child being a part of the team. As a child, I was playing many sports. I was a part of a handball team and I occasionally played football. I really like handball because I was good at it and it was giving me a sense of accomplishment at a young age while having fun with my friends.


User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP June 4th, 2022

@globalBraid3744

Handball was the classic lunch sport that all my friends played back in my younger school days! I do fondly recall how fun it was playing with my friends and how sweaty I'd be going back to class.

User Profile: globalBraid3744
globalBraid3744 June 7th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806

That's nice you also played handball! Haha, during our lunch breaks we used to play table tennis. It was a lot of fun. Sometimes there were so many of us playing (we were rotating) that some people would even use their phones or other things to play.

What sport did you like the most when you were a child?


load more
load more