Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Sciencedaily: Could eating fruit more often keep depression at bay?

User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 July 16th, 2022

“The researchers' findings suggest that how often we eat fruit is more important to our psychological health than the total amount we consume during a typical week.

The team also found that people who eat savory snacks such as crisps, which are low in nutrients, are more likely to report greater levels of anxiety.

Published in the British Journal of Nutrition, the study surveyed 428 adults from across the UK and looked at the relationship between their consumption of fruit, vegetables, sweet and savory food snacks, and their psychological health.

After taking demographic and lifestyle factors such as age, general health and exercise into account, the research found that both nutrient-rich fruit and nutrient-poor savory snacks appeared to be linked to psychological health. They also found that there was no direct association between eating vegetables and psychological health.

Based on the survey, the more often people ate fruit, the lower they scored for depression and the higher for mental wellbeing, independent of the overall quantity of fruit intake.”

Some Insights From This Article

  • An apple a day can keep the psychiatrist away? In a survey study, people who reported snacking on healthy foods such as apples, fruits and vegetables seemed to have less incidences of dealing with mental health setbacks such as depression, anxiety or others.

  • Healthy body means a healthy mind. Of course there are plenty of instances where there is a seeming disconnect, but there’s definitely a connection between living well and being mindful of our physical health affecting our mental health.

  • Of course please understand that psychiatrists and therapists are there for your health. Maybe check-up with them once and awhile :) and understand that they are a resource to maintain your overall health.

Do you notice a connection between a healthy body and a healthy mind?

Full article is here!

The article details the study conducted!

#MentalHealth #HealthyEating #Healthyhabits

6
User Profile: SYC1223
SYC1223 August 5th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806

People who regularly eat fruit may have more positive mental health outcomes and therefore less symptoms of depression, compared with those who don't, a new study by British scientists shows.

1 reply
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP August 6th, 2022

@SYC1223

It's really looking like it's making a difference! Thanks for sharing!

load more
User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 August 5th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806 I love fruit! This article made me crave a fruit salad. Thanks for sharing!

1 reply
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP August 6th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463

Haha! Yes! Fruit salads are amazing :)

load more
User Profile: globalBraid3744
globalBraid3744 August 6th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806

Do you notice a connection between a healthy body and a healthy mind?

Interesting article! Personally, I did not notice the connection between what I eat and how I feel. Perhaps I need to be more attentive to it. What about you?

1 reply
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 OP August 6th, 2022

@globalBraid3744

It's definitely a lot more subtle to flat out notice being happier right after you consume an apple, so I definitely understand. For me I think I do notice long term. My body in general feels a lot better and I end up being able translate that to my emotions as well.

load more