Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

VeryWell Mind: Simply Believing You Can Improve Your Mental Well-Being Goes a Long Way

User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 July 15th, 2022

_1657894708.image.png

"“I can do it” may take on a new meaning when it comes to mental health. People who believe they can do things in their daily life to improve their mental well-being have better mental health than those who don’t, according to a survey of over 3,000 Danish adults that was published in the Journal of Happiness Studies.

Feeling in Control is Important for Mental Wellness

The researchers note that having an internal locus of control, meaning you believe your happiness and mental health are dependent on your own actions, thoughts, and what you can control, is better for mental health than having an external locus of control, the belief that your mental well-being is dependent on external factors beyond your control.

"When it comes to behavior change, a person’s desire to change and a person’s ability to change are both important, but a person’s belief in their ability to change is critical,” says Natalie Christine Dattilo, PhD, clinical psychologist and wellness expert.

“Doubt in our ability to change can inadvertently undermine our motivation and effort,” she says.

She says an internal locus of control also connects to personal responsibility.

“Instead of feeling daunted or overwhelmed by the responsibly of taking good care of your mental health, I encourage people to feel empowered by it by realizing that it actually is something that they have the option to do something about if they want to, and there is more freedom in that than having a mental state just happen to them…as if there is nothing they can do about it,” she says.

Ways to Implement an Internal Locus of Control

Aspire but within reason

A caveat to believing you can do something is making sure your beliefs are realistic.

“The truth is I cannot do anything I put my mind to. For many people, when they get into the affirmations space, they go into a place of being unrealistic,” says Carmichael.

“Studies have shown that if people use aspirational affirmations which their brains know aren’t true, that can sometimes be more damaging,” she says.

Set small and achievable goals

To help boost your “change confidence,” which Dattilo defines as the belief in your ability to make desired changes in your life, she suggests setting “micro-goals,” which are easily attainable rather than “stretch goals,” which require a lot of effort.

Choosing goals that are rewarding can also help make your mental health and well-being a priority.

Be honest with yourself

Carmichael suggests writing a two-column list that forces you to be honest with yourself.

On one column, write things in your life that you believe are not in your control such as: “I have a fair amount of control over my moods.”

Then, in the other column, write a sentiment to challenge that belief, such as: “I have a fair amount of control over my moods.”

Show yourself some compassion

Combining both honesty and compassion is needed to make positive change, says Carmichael.

“Telling yourself, ‘I need support and I’m going to book myself some massages or some therapy appointments,’ or whatever would be a healthier way to cope. So that balance between honesty and compassion is the way that people grow. They really need both,” says Carmichael."

Read the full article here!

Reflection:

What do you think you can do to improve your own mental health?

*For me, journaling helps a lot. It helps me understand my emotions better and it's a great outlet. Dealing with my emotions via journaling has been very therapeutic as I'm not one to showcase much emotion to others.*

#MentalHealth #Coping #Control #Goals #Compassion #SelfLove





5
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 July 16th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463

I so agree with this. The first step to changing yourself is believing you can be changed. When going for a challenge or obstacle there will be many setbacks and issues, the last thing you need is yourself being against you.

User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP July 17th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806 Well-said!

load more
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 July 18th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463 I think staying positive is so important! If you don't have that will to fight, then it makes everything a lot harder. I've seen cancer patients who keep their hope alive and it does wonders! I know it's so hard though when faced with these hardships. I think I just try to take it day by day and do things that make me happy! Distractions are really good for me too!

User Profile: comfortableNight4463
comfortableNight4463 OP July 18th, 2022

@fruityPond7887 Exactly. Positivity and optimism can do wonders! I like your idea of incorporating things that make you happy into your life everyday. Self-care is very important in cultivating positivity. Thanks for sharing!😊

load more
User Profile: professionalVision2624
professionalVision2624 July 28th, 2022

@comfortableNight4463

Amazing article! I love these types of articles a lot! What I do to improve my mental health is making sure I exercise weekly, I eat a healthy and balanced diet aswell as journaling to get a better grasp of triggers and understanding how my emotions influences my thoughts and behaviors in a certain way.