Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Verywellmind - The Impact of Liminal Space on Your Mental Health

User Profile: zealousGrace5023
zealousGrace5023 May 3rd, 2022

_1651620301.image.png


“What Is Liminal Space?

Maybe you’ve never heard of the phrase “liminal space,” but you’ve been there, and it's possible you didn't like it.

Liminal Space

The word "liminal" comes from the Latin word “limen,” which means threshold. To be in a liminal space means to be on the precipice of something new but not quite there yet. You can be in a liminal space physically, emotionally, or metaphorically.

Being in a liminal space can be incredibly uncomfortable for most people. Brains crave homeostasis and predictability, and liminal space is everything but.

Origin of the Term

Anthropologist Arnold van Gennep first wrote about the concept of liminality when he developed the idea of the rites of passage. He defined a “rite of separation” (preliminary rite), rite of transition (liminal rite), and rite of incorporation (post-liminal rite). This transition theory explained that changes in people's life stages follow this pattern.

The COVID-19 pandemic is a prime example of this concept. We remain suspended between what our lives were like before the respiratory virus crisscrossed the globe—and what life will look like afterward. Many people have said that if they just knew when it would be over, it would be much easier to get through.

Liminal spaces can have harmful effects on mental health—if you let them. It is inevitable that you might encounter various liminal spaces throughout your life. In fact, life is just one liminal space between birth and death.

We’ll explain some liminal spaces you might experience in your life and how to cope with the uncertainty.

Examples of Liminal Space

Let's take a look at some examples of liminal space.

Physical Liminal Spaces

Perhaps a physical liminal space is easiest to understand. You are in physical liminal spaces all the time, but typically you often don’t notice them because you're only there for fleeting moments.

Think of a staircase. It takes you from one floor to another, and you often don’t think twice about your time on a staircase. But what about if you get stuck in a stairwell? Then, visions of horror movies might start racing through your head.

You can see how, on a very benign level, the idea of staying in that in-between space becomes very uncomfortable.

Here are some other examples of physical liminal spaces:

  • Airports
  • Hallways
  • Doorways
  • Trains
  • Airplanes
  • Bridges

Emotional Liminal Spaces

More simply, a liminal space may be thought of as a transitionary period. People will face many different liminal spaces during all of life's phases. Some will be longer than others and some will be harder than others, but, by definition, liminality has an endpoint.

Here are some examples of emotional liminal spaces:

  • Divorce
  • Moving
  • Death of a loved one
  • Graduations
  • Illness

Many of these look like they are endings (they are to some degree), but they are really lines in the sand. Events like these have the tendency to divide our lives into pre-divorce and post-divorce, for example. But in the aftermath of one of these events, one door has slammed shut, but you’re not yet sure where to open the next door.

Metaphorical Liminal Spaces

Metaphorically, a liminal space exists any time there are two ideas that someone is vacillating between. A trapeze makes an excellent metaphor for this. Once you jump off the platform, you are literally swinging through the air, waiting to transition from where you came from to where you are going.

You might also think of having to choose between two decisions. Maybe you need to choose between spending the evening with your romantic partner or your best friend. Until you make a decision, you are in a liminal space.

When faced with this uncertainty of how to proceed, you are thrown between where you have come from and where you are going.

How Liminal Space Affects Your Mental Health

Most of the time, the liminal space itself is not dangerous, but people's perception of it may be dangerous.

When liminal space is perceived as a danger, uncertainty, or a stressor, the feelings can lead to anything from anxiety to depression to suicidal ideation.

If you are having suicidal thoughts, contact the U.S. National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255 for support and assistance from a trained counselor. If you or a loved one are in immediate danger, call 911.

For more mental health resources, see our National Helpline Database.

More than just the fear of uncertainty, it becomes the fear that one will not have the emotional resources to cope. This leads to avoidant behaviors such as substance use or self-harm. Additionally, the fear of uncertainty may flood your body with stress hormones, making it even harder to come up for air.

If existing in the liminal space becomes too much for you to deal with on your own, you might want to find a therapist to help you learn healthy ways to cope.

How to Tolerate Liminal Space

Everyone will deal with liminal space at one point or another. These periods can be tough, but they can be growth opportunities.

Surrender Control

Although the uncertainty of being in a liminal space may be challenging to deal with, it is where you are now. And there can be beauty in liminal spaces. Think of liminal spaces in architecture, like a beautiful atrium in the entryway of a museum.

Liminality can also be an opportunity for transformation.3 It might not have been the path you would have chosen, but it is the path you are on now.

Practice Mindfulness

Much of the distress associated with being in a transitional period comes from fear or catastrophizing what might happen. So, stop for a moment to take stock of where you are right now.

What does uncertainty feel like in your body? Then, observe your breath coming in and out as you remind yourself that you are OK in this moment.

Embrace Your Current State

Some principles of Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) can help with uncertainty. First, you can accept where you are and want to change it.

For example, in the wake of grief following the loss of a family member, you can be sad and be looking for ways to change your behaviors and your response to the event.

Get Creative

Much of our entertainment and literature follows the hero’s journey—essentially, something happens, the hero goes on a journey following that event, and it profoundly changes them. Yet, whether it be fictitious or true-to-life, creativity might flourish in times of uncertainty.

So, you might want to write or draw to express what it feels like to be in a liminal space.”

By Theodora Blanchfield


Read Source here

Do you think you're stuck in an emotional/mental liminal space? It can be more than what the article mentions, like treating stages of your life as only transitory instead of being in the moment for example. How do you think it affects you?

#MentalHealth #FeelingStuck #Depression #Anxiety

12
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 May 5th, 2022

@zealousGrace5023

This is a very interesting article and I think it applies really well into a lot of situations not limited to the COVID pandemic. The concept of liminal space can be a great way for people to identify in which type of situation you're in and how to move on from there.

1 reply
User Profile: zealousGrace5023
zealousGrace5023 OP May 5th, 2022

@sunnyWriting4806 it does apply to a lot of situations, definitely not just the pandemic or conventionally declared transitory stages. And it's very odd and frustrating being in one. So recognising that and learning how to deal with it is really helpful :)

load more
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 May 7th, 2022

@zealousGrace5023 I definitely think I'm in a liminal space right now! I'm in between my bachelor's degree and going back to grad school, so I feel a little lost. I don't know whether or not to find a new job, move out, etc. It's hard finding yourself and I think this is transitory, but it's important to remember that this isn't forever and there is always better times coming!

3 replies
User Profile: zealousGrace5023
zealousGrace5023 OP May 9th, 2022

@fruityPond7887 absolutely

it's a very weird uncertain feeling being stuck in between places but you'll be out of it soon

Good luck with it all

2 replies
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 May 12th, 2022

@zealousGrace5023 Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement!😊

1 reply
User Profile: zealousGrace5023
zealousGrace5023 OP May 13th, 2022

@fruityPond7887 you're very welcome!!

load more
load more
User Profile: greenWalker8543
greenWalker8543 May 10th, 2022

I’m married now and debating whether to go to grad school or not. I’ve been wanting to for the last 8 years but I have to save up for it. I am still finding myself but I know I love the job I have now and want to keep my place at least 2 years longer till we have to move.

1 reply
User Profile: fruityPond7887
fruityPond7887 May 12th, 2022

@greenWalker8543 I understand that completely. It's really hard going back to school when you are settled. Would you consider taking out loans? That's always an option, but I know it's hard! Whatever you decide, I know you got this!! 💪

load more
load more
User Profile: globalBraid3744
globalBraid3744 May 10th, 2022

@zealousGrace5023

I have never heard the word liminal space before but after reading the post I feel like I am experiencing it a lot. It feels like I have to deal with life changes all the time. I am going to graduate soon and start a job along with moving to a new city. I am not handling uncertainty and novelty well, so I found the recommendations at the end of the post extremely helpful.


1 reply
User Profile: zealousGrace5023
zealousGrace5023 OP May 10th, 2022

@globalBraid3744 I am glad you found it helpful!! Good luck with the new changes

I'm sure you'll be greatt

1 reply
User Profile: globalBraid3744
globalBraid3744 May 11th, 2022

@zealousGrace5023

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement! :)

1 reply
User Profile: zealousGrace5023
zealousGrace5023 OP May 13th, 2022

@globalBraid3744 Of course!

load more
load more
load more