How do you distract yourself away from always thinking about the other person? Is it okay to sometimes think about them?

Jessica Kell, LPC-S NCC CDC-I

Life spares no one hardship. It's why I offer skills, tools, & wisdom gathered in 10+yrs. of work as a Therapist to help you navigate yours. Lets do this together! I can help.

Hopegrace15
Sometimes it is is hard to get someone out of our minds- be it an ex, someone who betrayed us, a friend, anyone. We just cant seem to get past it. It is natural to feel that way. The important thing is not to dwell on those thoughts, If it is an ex, then it is better not to have anything around you that reminds you of them. With time, learn to forgive them in your heart for your own good. Leave the past where it is. only then can you see the future..
Anonymous
Of course its alright to think about them. They were a part of your life at some point. Just don't get too caught up with it and reassure yourself that they aren't in your life anymore for a reason.
Sassy001
March 22nd, 2016 7:28pm
Yes it is ok to sometimes think about them.It would only be a problem if all you could do is think about them obsessively and it is disrupting your life in some way
bestTruth96
I think it is ok to sometimes think about someone in our past. As long as it is not all the time. Once every 6 months, 9 months, once a year. I think it is normal to wonder about the people in our past, but also need to remember it is the past. They are members of our past for a reason.
shiningDay13
It's ok to think about that other person from time to time. Hopefully you're remembering the good times, and not focusing on the bad. Distract yourself by doing things you like, maybe riding a bike or visiting a local park. And spend time with supportive friends.
LunaRose
Yes, it is okay to think about another person as it is a natural process. I would recommend finding new ways to keep your brain active and engaged, maybe try exercise or find a new hobby like drawing or singing!
Anonymous
This question isn't for me to answer, but for you to answer. If you find it hard to distract yourself away from thinking about one person then think about something else. If you can't, then do something that requires your mind to think. And if its ok to sometimes think about them? i honestly don't know. thats for you to decide. If you want to then you can, if you don't want to think about them, then don't
Anonymous
yes it is okay to think about them.. you may distract yourself away from them by meeting some new people
Chokeli
It is ok. Thats human. I do sometimes think about my x too. but we need to find something that keeps as away from the thoughts.
shoulderforu
its okay to think abt other person.but dont cling to them...because u lose what u cling to.u can focus on urself instead.u can cling to urself. :) the more u love urself,u will be loved by the other person... :)
maryammm98
It's okay to think about them sometimes but you need to be your own person so the absence of your significant other does not put you into depression,
Anonymous
it is okay to sometimes think about them as long as it doesn't affect your mood and life negatively. The best way to distract yourself is to spend more time with your family and friends, and/or, spend more time on your hobbies, works to improve your skills
NewRomantic677
Thinking about somebody you care about is only natural, and positive distractions often present themselves in disguise: in short, distract yourself with things you love, be constructive with distractions, not destructive.
amandaroxanne
I believe there is no great answer for this because everyone and every situation is different. However, it is important to take some time away from social media and be outdoors to really focus on your own life in a positive way.
Anonymous
It is okay to think about them but learning not to dwell on it is the best option. You can do this by doing things like reading, writing, exeecising and thinking about other people and their situations to take your mond off of them
sweetlinda22
Yes. it is absolutely okay to think about them. allow yourself to appreciate what was, just enough to admit that it made for a good memory then smile and continue with whatever it is you are doing.
Avalon1611
Take it a day at a time! Allow yourself to feel emotion, as we all cope differently, but then focus on doing what makes you happy and spend time with friends and talking to them about it if it helps. We cannot stop thinking about someone that easily, but time heals emotional pain. Every human is unique and we cannot always expect the same thing from others in return as we do. Accept the reality that, those who doesn't care for you are not really worth for you. You deserve better in all possible ways. And remember that, even though it may not feel like it at the time, there is someone else out there for you.
Alethiology
Yes, it is. I myself think of old friends but then I remember what happened and why we split. Even if your good times trump your bad, you would give them a second chance to hurt you the first time again. Be happy it happened and sad it's over, then move on.
here4you201
It is perfectly fine to think about the person you are trying to distract yourself from thinking about. Instead, the more you push the person away, the more you suffer. Try embracing the person, no matter how tough it is, once you start embracing the person into your life, he/she comes and go just like thoughts. Let time do the healing and be nonjudgmental.
generousRabbit93
it is okay but dont go back, move foward never back they were left in the back for a reason and you have to keep remembering that reason