What is the difference between spirituality and mindfulness or meditation?

Tanyia Hughes, Adv Dip Psy

Psychotherapist

I have been through a lot in life too, which helps me to be able to empathize with situations, thoughts and feelings that we have. Sometimes, it's not easy just being human.

neptne
January 2nd, 2018 1:30am
Spirituality can mean many different things to many different people. For my sister, who places her beliefs in the power of the body, mind, and soul, meditation is a huge part of her spirituality, but what makes it not just meditation is her faith and practice to secure her faith.
HealingSinthia
A really good question first of all. Spirituality is a process of knowing the self, connecting to the self and growing the self emotionally and mentally as well as spiritually. Mindfulness is a technique which helps us to figure out what exactly is going on in our life. Its a self reflection phenomenon where one chooses to be fully present in the current moment. Past or future never worries the self and we enjoy the liveliness of the life. Lastly, meditation is a practice technique or an application that can be used to train our mind for the growth. Meditation helps us in grounding our negative energy and filling ourselves with the positive divine energy. Meditation also includes self affirmations that is giving one's subconscious mind the right directions which are healthy ways to live a life mindfully. 💖
luminousPup56
For me, spirituality is more about connecting to a higher power, even if that higher power is somehow inside of us? Wheras mindfulness and meditation are more about the natural man (person), but I'm not an expert on either of those.
Anonymous
Spirituality concerns matters that transcend the physical/material world, such as the "soul" or "spirit" while mindfulness, by its definition, does not. While one can be a mindful person and a spiritual person, mindfulness simply means paying attention to the present moment, on purpose, non-judgmentally. One can be mindful, observing their surroundings in the present moment, without being spiritual (believing in something outside of the physical/material world).