Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

As someone just in their mid-30s, what have you learned at 50 that you wish you knew when you were younger?

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 December 1st, 2021

As per the title, I've always loved talking to those who are both older and wiser than myself. There's almost nothing more calming to me than knowing that there's people who have blazed this trail called life long before I was ever here.

At 35, it's interesting to note that 15 years ago I was 20. And *in* 15 years, I will be 50. Either way, it really goes by so fast. Which is kind of sad to me, to be honest. But at the same time, I look forward to any further wisdom that I may learn as I am fortunate enough to age. :)

13
User Profile: adventurousBranch3786
adventurousBranch3786 December 2nd, 2021

@sereneSunset26. One thing is not to worry as much what people think of me as I did when I was younger.

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP December 3rd, 2021

@adventurousBranch3786

That definitely makes sense!

I noticed when I was approaching 30 that I became a lot more comfortable in my own skin. However, I still have moments where I'm in my own head way too much in regards to what others may or may not be thinking. I find this to be especially amplified in social settings--specifically towards dates or dating.

I do realize that some of this may be universal, but I do long for the day (or decade 😅) when I can finally just let go, if you know what I mean. :)

User Profile: adventurousBranch3786
adventurousBranch3786 December 3rd, 2021

@sereneSunset26 I can definitely relate to that. Dating was an area of tremendous difficulty for me!

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP December 6th, 2021

@adventurousBranch3786

As luck would have it (ha), that's still an area that has been pretty hit-and-miss for me overall.

What are some things that you've learned about dating now that you would theoretically tell your younger self now?

load more
load more
User Profile: IcedCoffee211109
IcedCoffee211109 December 28th, 2021

@adventurousBranch3786

Good one Branch! I hadn't thought of this in quite a while, as it is more natural now. So glad you thought of it and brought it up, as it is probably very important...more important than most things I could and did think of that could be relevant to someone younger.

load more
User Profile: GrammatoBoys
GrammatoBoys December 5th, 2021

Life is truly short so make every moment truly count and do not waste your time & energy on things that do not bring you peace & happiness.

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP December 6th, 2021

@GrammatoBoys

Thank you so much for your reply. And I'm with you on that; life truly is so short that, even at my age, I am recognizing the need to prioritize things in my life that do bring me that peace and happiness. I've noticed this especially as I have started to take better care of my mental health the last few years.

What are some things for you in your life that bring you that peace and happiness?

load more
User Profile: LaviniaPalmer
LaviniaPalmer December 12th, 2021

The most important thing I learned is to leave a huge financial "cushion" of accessible money if at all possible. I went bankrupt at age 50 because my husband insisted on buying a huge house and we could not support it financially with just one medical episode. Know that something terrible can happen to you and the insurance might pay 70% or 80% or even more, but the co-pay can be fatal.


Be on the same page financially with your partner.


Seriously boring but important advice!

User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP December 13th, 2021

@LaviniaPalmer

Honestly, thank you so much for this advice!

As someone who is still navigating the dating world in their 30s, I'm more than willing to listen to anyone (which I feel is most everyone, ha) who has learned a thing or two more than me in this regard.

While at times I wish that I had found someone years ago, I know now that I simply wasn't ready 10 years ago--let alone five.

So yeah, I know that they saw opposites can attract in a lot of way, but I agree--being on the same page financially is so vital towards making things work.

load more
User Profile: exquisitePeace7976
exquisitePeace7976 December 25th, 2021

@sereneSunset26

Hello, Great Post!

User Profile: IcedCoffee211109
IcedCoffee211109 December 26th, 2021

@sereneSunset26

  1. How quickly things go in life when you thought you had more time to do such and such or the ability with your body to do this or that longer.
  2. How right that older person really was where they were saying that to me and just what they really meant.
  3. That I really should have done what I thought I wanted to do because I could back then and now, I can't do it anymore and there is nothing I can do about it anymore.
  4. I really should have thought things through better when younger and made much better decisions when younger. I would be so much better off now.
  5. Just how much time and how much of my life I have wasted in so many ways and so much I could have done so much better.
User Profile: sereneSunset26
sereneSunset26 OP December 27th, 2021

@IcedCoffee211109

Thank you so much for your reply!

If you don't mind, I'll go through each of your 5 things and how they resonated with me:

  1. How quickly things go in life when you thought you had more time to do such and such or the ability with your body to do this or that longer.

    Yeah, this for sure I can vibe with. Obviously to the same extent as someone with more life experience than me, but just sensing the Christmas holiday pass by again on the calendar really drove it home this year.

  2. How right that older person really was where they were saying that to me and just what they really meant.

    Yeah, again, life experience really does count for so much. The more I learn that I know, the more I learn how much I really *don't* know.

  3. That I really should have done what I thought I wanted to do because I could back then and now, I can't do it anymore and there is nothing I can do about it anymore.

    This point in particular resonated with me because, to some extent, I have already experienced this (physically speaking) with my body. However, I can only imagine that having overall opportunities pass me by solely because of the passage of time would not (and is not) feel very good either.

  4. I really should have thought things through better when younger and made much better decisions when younger. I would be so much better off now.

    I feel like I already feel so much of this point just looking back on my 20s, and some of my 30s. Sometimes the most frustrating thing to me in this life is hindsight.

  5. Just how much time and how much of my life I have wasted in so many ways and so much I could have done so much better.

    *sigh* I feel like I'm already feeling this to whatever degree that I can at my age. I remember a professor once telling that experience is something we get right *after* we need it. And, while that makes sense and I know that's how life goes, it's such a frustrating thing to me.
load more
User Profile: exquisitePeace7976
exquisitePeace7976 December 27th, 2021

@sereneSunset26

Great Post!