Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Winter Gardening- share your tips and ideas here!

User Profile: MistyMagic
MistyMagic November 7th, 2022

_1667830542.Snowdrops.jpg

Hi everyone!

So here in the northern hemisphere ( I'm in England) we are heading into winter and now is the time to plant some bulbs to get a head start for the Spring, also things like tidying up so that the winter gales don't wreak havoc. Last week half my shed blew down lol! So that will be a fixing job that needs to be done.

Do you bring your nonhardy plants in?

Do you dig up begonias and dahlias and shift their tubers inside?

What about gathering leaves ready for mulch next year when rotted?

Has your lawn had its last mow for the year yet?

Come and share your tips and thoughts about gardening in winter!


@Aileen1114117 @Aliceiin3rdwonderland @corinnajoyhenryluv @EmotionsListener @enigmaticsmile321 @FallandWinterPlease00 @HealingTalk @Helpingheart23 @hiraxx @independentFig7852 @jujubears @LadyOrgasma @Lou73 @Meifeng @Merliah001 @MilaAvery @MistyMagic @NicholasW @Paprika001 @practicalTree3613 @SerenitysFire @SleepyShyCat @SmileSravani @SparklingSeashells @Sunisshiningandsoareyou @sweetrosa1987 @ThadSterling @thandocilo @theboymoana @tidyHickory3283 @Walker7957 @WarmLightXO @WorriedMagpie




24
User Profile: ThadSterling
ThadSterling November 7th, 2022

Since I currently don’t have any plants, but want to get one soon and start cultivating a green thumb, in excited to see what I can learn from others :) ideally I would like to start off with indoor plants that some day could be transplanted into a garden. I’ve joked before that I should start with a cactus, lol! But I think I’d like to grow something like bell peppers…a lot to learn!

User Profile: SleepyShyCat
SleepyShyCat November 7th, 2022

@MistyMagic

Uh oh about the shed - I'm currently nervously watching mine in the wind 😬

I spend autumn taking in my succulents I have out in the summer (not including the very delicate ones or cacti I keep inside all year) and also preparing the fruit trees for the winter.

Other than that, I guiltily admit to being the gardener who will 'just deal with it in the spring' lol, the constant wind and rain puts me off, but I have enough houseplants to keep me busy over the next few months 🪴🌵

User Profile: MistyMagic
MistyMagic OP November 7th, 2022

Fingers crossed for the shed, from my shed to yours 🦋❤

User Profile: SleepyShyCat
SleepyShyCat November 8th, 2022

@MistyMagic just-a-bit-windy-windy.gif

User Profile: MistyMagic
MistyMagic OP November 8th, 2022

@SleepyShyCat oh that is such a brilliant pic,!

Listening - One Step At A Time!

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: calmMango9611
calmMango9611 November 8th, 2022

@MistyMagic wow! I am very sorry to hear about your shed.

Question Are you ok? Is your power out or back on?


User Profile: MistyMagic
MistyMagic OP November 13th, 2022

@calmMango9611 We didn't lose power, thankfully, but the shed was caught by some gusts I guess and that was it lol, but we have plans for a greenhouse there now!

Listening - One Step At A Time!

User Profile: PatienceImpatiens
PatienceImpatiens December 17th, 2022

Curious what type of greenhouse you’re looking into. I have the type with polycarbonate and frame. Planning to assemble in a protected area where hopefully the wind won’t knock it down. Several other websites I consulted swear by the glass greenhouses. Of course they’re more pricey and require a foundation and in some areas of the worlld, “special permissions.” Curious what your thinking is on this.

User Profile: MistyMagic
MistyMagic OP December 17th, 2022

@PatienceImpatiens Interesting reply, thanks. I do not like glass, so I was thinking polycarbonate, but also some old window frames already glazed might be used to as we are building it from scratch. We have a concrete surround base already from the shed so will probably go for raised beds and glass top.

Listening - One Step At A Time!

User Profile: PatienceImpatiens
PatienceImpatiens December 17th, 2022

@MistyMagic Ah yes, old window frames; that's a great recycling idea and very creative. Since these posts do allow photos, I'm curious when you're building it if you could post photos. Likewise, I will be happy to post photos of our greenhouse construction, with the caveat that it won't be until the warmer days of spring. Brrrrrr, it's chilly around here!

User Profile: MistyMagic
MistyMagic OP December 17th, 2022

Deal! Its freezing here too, I have lost so many plants. I hope the roots survive.

load more
load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: Liv125
Liv125 November 12th, 2022

I'm so sorry to hear that your shed blew down Misty, that must be so annoying and frustrating! :( I hope that you have been able to fix it by now and that all is okay. I'm excited to see the responses from gardeners on here, as I just recently bought myself a plant. It's a succulent, which is handy in case i forgot to water it 😊 I wonder if anybody has any tips for dealing with these kind of plants!

User Profile: MistyMagic
MistyMagic OP November 13th, 2022

@Liv125 oh how lovely, they are good plants for new gardeners, they don't need much care, but you do need to talk to them 😄 or sing or maybe play the piano! plants seem to respond to music. Do you have a pic of the succulent ?

Listening - One Step At A Time!

User Profile: Liv125
Liv125 November 13th, 2022

@MistyMagic

Thank you for your reply Misty ☺️ Yes, you are definitely right! That is one of the main reasons i bought it, other than the fact that the pot is reallyy cute. I would love to sing to my plant hahaha!

I have a photo right here :)

_1668360049.***-261658018.jpg

Look at how cute it is!

User Profile: Liv125
Liv125 November 13th, 2022

@Liv125 also im not sure if my photo posted but if it didnt, its a little succulent plant in a pot which looks like a polar bear :)

User Profile: MistyMagic
MistyMagic OP November 13th, 2022

@Liv125 aww I can't see the picture, I wonder what happened, but polar bear sounds so cute :)

Listening - One Step At A Time!

User Profile: Liv125
Liv125 November 13th, 2022

hmm im not sure either, but thank you :)! i need to give him a name

load more
load more
load more
load more
User Profile: calmMango9611
calmMango9611 November 13th, 2022

@Liv125 Thanks.

But I do not have a green thumb, at all.

Trust me, when I say this.

I have had some plants over the years, not do so well.

I either forget to water them, or I over water them, or I do not give them enough water.

User Profile: oa4me
oa4me November 13th, 2022

My secret with plants is what I call benign neglect. Because I tend to over water, I tend to water them whenever I feel like it and it works great.

User Profile: Liv125
Liv125 November 13th, 2022

Hmm, i understand where you are coming from 😊 I don't have much of a green thumb myself, so i totally get it (im really hoping that this succulent i got grows well!). I believe it's just about taking the time to learn, and never giving up, even if one plant fails to grow properly. That's perfectly normal, and just part of the learning process! Are you going to attempt to grow any more plants? 💛

load more
load more
User Profile: easyWater4109
easyWater4109 November 13th, 2022

@MistyMagic

Hello,

I so love to garden! I discovered it this year after moving to a new home in a desert climate. The soil was hard to cultivate at first but I believe it was the daily attention along with my love that made everything bloom. Now it’s freezing here nearly every night and I understand that everything has its season….so I salvaged a few succulents to put in the kitchen for the cats to enjoy looking at when they eat. I’ve been collecting wood and carving it to its core but not sure what I’m going to make with it yet. I’m also making sure the birds nearby are fed since they faithfully visited my garden when it was in bloom….nature is my sanctuary 💕🌷💕

User Profile: MistyMagic
MistyMagic OP November 14th, 2022

Hi Water! That sounds a challenge,far from my waterlogged home on England lol. What do you feed the birds?

load more
User Profile: EmotionsListener
EmotionsListener November 14th, 2022

One thing I find I'm particularly careful about when it comes to houseplants in the winter is watering, not so much how often, but the water I use.

I will fill the water jug from the tap days in advance and let it 'sit' in the room with the plants, that way it will end up the right temperature and the chlorine in the water will evaporate. I've noticed the houseplants really appreciate this extra bit of effort, so I tend to water most about once a week, then refill the jug as soon as I'm done for the following week. Somehow this also makes me more consistent in watering.

User Profile: MistyMagic
MistyMagic OP December 13th, 2022

How do you protect your semi hardy plants?

Listening - One Step At A Time!