Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What is anxiety? What if what i have isnt Anxiety? What if I have something else? Help please.

User Profile: optimisticpatient9779
optimisticpatient9779 April 13th, 2023

I used to have anxiety. I would get so worried about things I would shut down and panic. Like shakes and sick to my stomach.


Fast forward 30 years. Out of the blue I get the feeling like I am being choked and I can’t breathe, the pressure is so real that my arms start aching. Is this anxiety? I understand that I have anxiety about it happening….but the actual event?


I am so lost and confused. They recommend meds….and I’m scared?


What if this isn’t anxiety? What if I have something medical? What if……that’s starting to consume me. They came see me for a month.


How can I stop it?

3
User Profile: sunnyWriting4806
sunnyWriting4806 April 13th, 2023

@optimisticpatient9779

Hey there that sounds quite the confusion you might have and I understand it may be causing stress. Anxiety can present itself in very real medical symptoms like you described, but it's probably best to leave that decision making for your doctor. There's always emergency services if you feel as if your health is being very actively threatened. In the meantime is there anything that you did in the past to help calm your anxiety? Perhaps trying those techniques to see if they help with your symptoms can make it clearer to you if what you have is anxiety or medically caused. But do see your doctor for the final say. They should be better equipped and knowledgeable to help you.

1 reply
User Profile: optimisticpatient9779
optimisticpatient9779 OP April 13th, 2023

Thank you. I am seeing a therapist and was recommended meds. I go for a med evaluation next month. So I am doing what they want. But the worry while I am in between is causing these random attacks to be worse I think. My previous attempts to ‘calm’ are not as effective…

load more
User Profile: MiraculousTango
MiraculousTango April 15th, 2023

@optimisticpatient9779

It is scary to try to understand a problem that is so real that it presents itself in such a physical way, and yet here you are. I understand you want to understand the problem at its core and I believe the uncertainty of it is giving you more anxiety. And that's okay, give it some more time. If you can't find answers, it is perfectly natural to seek them. Your doctors will help you the best they can and they will, just try to trust them. Openly ask them questions if you may. We here at 7cups have your back!

It will get better. I know it is a dark path you can't see, but have faith in yourself. The end is there :)