Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

(T/W) Is this a Phobia? *Covid*

User Profile: blueOak7320
blueOak7320 July 19th, 2021

So, where I am, everything has opened back up from the pandemic. Masks are no longer required for those who are vaccinated. I thought I was going to be okay with it. I had gotten vaccinated back in March and I was looking forward to when we could safely live our lives again. My family had always been very cautious, and we still are. We have yet to go maskless in public. Nothing wrong with that. But I am now, more than ever, more scared than ever. My paranoia is through the roof. Keep in mind I am fully vaccinated and have been for about 4 months now, 80%+ of the population where I live is vaccinated, our cases are super low, and the Delta varient is not prevalent. I am afraid to go outside, I am triple masking, I am constantly washing and sanitizing my hands, more than I ever was through the rest of the pandemic, I won't go anywhere other than home and work. If I get groceries delivered I thoroughly wash each one (I'll sanitize boxes and bags), I don't order delivery because the food may have been prepared or delivered by someone not wearing a mask, I don't trust anyone anymore about being vaccinated, not even my friends, I'm having internal logic issues trying to reason with myself that I shouldn't think every person who eats out or goes maskless in public is a bad person, I am now double masking around my family. I never use to be like this. I am deathly afraid of contracting covid. I've been told many times that me being vaccinated and masked will keep me safe. But we've seen throughout the entire pandemic that a mask does not keep you 100% safe. The vaccine, any of them, are not 100% effective. There is still a chance I can still get it. There is still a chance I can die from it. There are enough people who will not get vaccinated that it will never be safe ever again. So I can't see people, to anywhere or do anything ever again. That's where I am. Are there any phobias in there?

3
User Profile: Eudaimonia99
Eudaimonia99 July 20th, 2021

@blueOak7320

A phobia is an irrational fear of objects or situations. It causes physical symptoms like trembling, sweating, vomiting, etc; and psychological symptoms like being overwhelmed, anxiety, feels the loss of control, etc. The symptoms can bring up fast once you face your trigger. If COVID triggers your phobia symptoms and keeps going for 6month, you can ask professionals to run an official diagnose.

I personally still wear a mask when I go out, even though the place I live also hits herd immunity level. I take these actions as being cautious. Some people might think these protection actions sound paranoid. But everybody has their belief about how seriously the Delta variant is. It is normal everyone has a different level of cautiousness when they are dealing with the same situation.

User Profile: ChibiChiii
ChibiChiii August 6th, 2021

I also struggle with this same fear, I also struggle with a life long needle phobio on top and making the decision to get the vaccination has therefor been very difficult and stressing. I'm terrified of the side effects from the vaccines, worried that i will have quarantined this entire pandemic only to get sick in the end. I'm also scared that it's inevitable as some of my blood relatives keep telling me that it doesn't matter what you do that i will get Corona anyway. It's not even the fact that it could be deadly cause rational i know that that's a very small chance. But I'm just so scared to get sick. This polarisation in the world also worried me greatly, it feels like you can't trust anyone anymore. But on top of all this, I'm more scared of the pandemic ending, I'm scared other people will return to their old ways of doing things and that I'll still be too anxious to do so. That I'll be left behind and alone because of this. It's a constant worry on my mind i wake up with it and it is still there before i go to sleep. So I'm really considering going back to therapy. It has helped me greatly for other anxieties so I'm hoping it can help me again to find my peace of mind. I hope you find yours too again, your really not alone with all this. I know of several other people on online communities who have expressed fears like ours. So feel free to talk about it anytime.

User Profile: A01234
A01234 August 13th, 2021

You are definitely not alone. I struggle with COVID anxiety and most days I am too scared to go to the store. I have increased to three filters when around people indoors for long periods of time. My paranoia is even tearing my relationship apart and I feel like there’s nothing I can do about it. I am so terrified of the virus that everything around me is changing. I am also considering going to therapy because continuing to live in fear is not a way to live. I hope you gain the courage to go back out! I hope I do too!