I'm used to sudden jarring panic attacks, but I'm not sure how to deal with slowly building anxiety
I've been dealing with anxiety/depression for years now. i have my normal (if it can be called such) episodes that I'm used to dealing with. but just recently, i had an episode that was outside my comfort zone... my symptoms are usually sudden and doing sudo-meditation in a dark corner (or beneath a blanket) is my usual go-to for waiting them out... this time it came at me at a turtle's pace. at first i was just annoyed as I've been on about a 4 day streak with no major instances. but after about 2 hours of a slow build-up. i was finding myself in a cozy corner and it was still getting worse... i was eventually so anxious that i was reduced to rocking in the fetal position (lost track of time around then as well)... and trying to find the trigger just seemed to make it worse... after some sleep (i think) I came to feeling better, but still trying to figure out what just hit me. kind of poking around to see if anyone was familiar with these symptoms and might have some ideas to try if this happens again...
@carefulBalloon9014
Hi,
Tbh I have no real idea what it is that you you are going through, but I was encouraged and heartened that even though this particular configuration hasn't happened to you before, you were able to find a way of getting through it.
If there was such a thing, I'd definitely recommend you for the anxiety disposal operative badge.
@DavidEss if by getting through it you mean sitting curled up in a dark corner for hours, lol. honestly though, it helps just talking about it. i had a point in my life where i would stew in my own anxiety for days... i would have back to back episodes because i would stress and overthink about the one i just had. which might explain why this one got so bad and lasted so long... i have a bad habit of trying to break down every aspect of "why is this happening". i really hope i don't have any more like this one though... i lost many hours that i would have liked to spend with my family. and i still can't pinpoint the trigger. not sure how i would feel about being awarded, but the thought is a nice change from the depression, so i appreciate the compliment. thank you 😊
@carefulBalloon9014
Looking for reasons for this kind of stuff can easily turn into a self-loathing session. I wonder if the true reason, as far as there is such a thing, is that we can have an amygdala that is very sensitive, and requires a lot of careful handling so we can get through a 'normal' life.
There used to be a game, a stretch of bent wire, and you had to thread a small loop along it without it touching, or a loud buzzer would go off. I think it's a bit like that.
I've experienced the slow build attacks before. I'm not really sure what to do, myself, but try to take some extra care of myself for the next several days in preparation.
@Sadface27 your advice about taking care of myself afterwards seems to be pretty spot on. i decided to take it easy on myself and was able to hold off a depression episode pretty well because if it. I'll have to remember this in case i have another slow build episode.
btw, do yours have specific triggers, or do they just build up out of nowhere? my sudden attacks usually followed stressful triggers... I'm still trying to figure out if this episode even had a trigger, but I'm trying not to dwell on it too much least i set myself up for one of my usual ones, lol.
@carefulBalloon9014 I usually have obvious triggers. After a traumatic panic attack (which you could say broke the seal) during a wedding last year, I don't do well in crowds anymore and am usually triggered at parties or concerts, etc. I'm also triggered by stressful events in my releationships. The wedding panic attack seemed to come out of nowhere and was the first one I had in years, but after thinking about it for some time, I think it maybe bubbled up due to a combination of extreme social anxiety in a crowded space and not being able to find my people - feeling exposed/abandoned.
It helps me to take note of what things are happening during the panic building phase. What happened last week that may have started this? If I can find some obvious triggers, I will avoid them for a time until I think I'm ready to try and tackle them again.
I have some simple plans for action when anxiety overwhelms me. You may like to try them.
I love hot water bottles. Sold in Walgreens. Fill with hot water and cuddle. Great if the puppy wont cooperate.!
Music also helps. Theres a song called Breathe. Its a Christian song. The words are great and explain my anxiety to me. Sometimes if I play happy songs it helps me relax.
Eating warm tea and toast makes me think of my childhood. Is there anything that makes you think of a time you felt safe and secure?
@hardworkingWillow8619
i have to be careful with music due to depression... I'll consider the hot water bottle though!
unfortunately, not much reminds me of a happy childhood... part of my issues actually, lol. i only realized a couple years ago (around when i was finally getting comfortable with therapy) how messed up my mom was for ensuring the exact opposite... not really sure if it was intentional on her part, but i have a ways to go before I'm stable enough to ask...
@carefulBalloon9014