Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Is your depression & anxiety make you distract yourself from your family

User Profile: intuitiveCucumber9556
intuitiveCucumber9556 March 22nd, 2018

My family never trust that I have depression and anxiety. Instead, thinking that I was stressed and spoiled teen(just to gain attention). I asked my parents to let me see doctor for my diagnosis for depression only. Do you know what happen next? None of them trust me haha! They said "People that depressed always locked them self in room and lost someone that they loved like your cousin!" While my brother said "Depression umm... so what you symptoms? If you don't know the symptoms you just only make doctor laugh at you!". They only seen me as spoiled kid since I was kindergarten. After that, I started distract myself from my family. If I'm spoiled kid that never listen to parents and always got something what I want can I have deep slumber that make everyone happy? I only hope someone support me to live.

So about anxiety, I always caged myself in my room when someone came here. Also, I caged myself from seeing my sister and brothers. It started when my sister married with someone she loved (I'm happy that she lived happily with him and they are cute marriage couple. I wish I have husband that can take a good care of me but I guess my time in this world too short) I'm afraid to talk with people. I always stuttering when I say something. No one understand what I was trying to say. Also, It make me want to cry when I talk with someone because im too scared.Just that only ,Thank you for reading.

Forgive me if my grammar is bad.

2
User Profile: ThisIs543
ThisIs543 March 22nd, 2018

@intuitiveCucumber9556 Ugh, you poor thing! First, good for you for recognizing that you need help, and VERY good for coming here! Hopefully you can find a listener here to support you.

Your family basically is repeating all the usual myths about depression and anxiety. I have a guess about what country you are from (based on my experience as a listener here). If I'm right, it's a VERY unforgiving culture regarding mental health. Even the doctors seem to misunderstand a lot of what is common knowledge in the US.

You probably aren't going to change your family's mind. So you are going to have to be VERY proactive about "treating yourself" in whatever way you can until you have access to professional help. Read about all the potential treatments for anxiety and depression, and do what you can on your own. Exercise is very effective, as are mindfulness meditations (which you can find on 7 Cups for free.) Having someone to talk through your problems with - like a listener or therapist on 7 Cups - can also help.

There are also some studies that indicate a lack of vitamin D and Omega 3 in the diet can contribute to depression, so see if you can find supplements or just increase foods with these items (milk, salmon, leafy greens, nuts).

User Profile: purpleMap5053
purpleMap5053 March 22nd, 2018

@intuitiveCucumber9556 I know how you feel. I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety order and depression, and my family think it's a joke. Any time I try to share my feelings, they laughed at me and didn't take me seriosly. I distanced myself from my family emotionally and sometimes I prefer to be by myself than with them. When I prefer not to spend time with them, they say I'm childish. So I completely understand and I'm right there with you. For me, not telling my family about my feelings and problems really helps. Even though they don't know me, it keep's them from saying things that actually hurts me.