My story. Looking for encouragement as I feel alone in this. If you can relate to experiences I express please share!
I was a Jehovah's Witness for 7 years. In May 2017, I decided to leave because I wasn't happy. In the end I found JWs to be very clicky as they tend to hang out with the same people, considering the Jehovah's Witness organization says that they are to associate only with other JWs. I found this rule hard and noticed that I enjoyed hanging out with people at work more than JWs. When I left, I didn't tell anyone, but a few people started noticing that I wasn't at the church meetings anymore and reached out. I also didn't want my JW boss finding out since I had to move and pay off debt. When he did find out, I started experiencing Sexual and Religious harassment from him.
I finally quit March 2018. I was incredibly stressed out that this point and had been smoking weed for 9 months at this point as well to deal with all the stress that was steadly accumulating. A month later I got a new job, and was recommended a weed capsule to deal with menstrual cramps and when I did I had a massive panic attack that lasted from 9:30pm-4:30am. I later woke up that morning in a panic attack. All the days that followed I was dealing with crippling anxiety and because you lose your friends and family when you leave the JW organization, I had no one to talk to except my boyfriend who was very much there for me. I dealt with anxiety for a year and was mildly dealing with Depersonalization & Derealization (even now).
Please share you experience and if you overcame Depersonalization & Derealization. I'd love the support and encouraging words. Thank You!
@Girlnwest14
Hi! I'm so sorry that you've been dealing with this. I haven't experienced the same thing. But I do know what it's like to lose a lot of friends and to feel alone except for a partner. I don't know where you're at in your life. But I do know it's possible to rebuild. Do you journal at all? It might be a helpful way to reconnect with yourself? Sometimes I just rapid journal my thoughts. But I also find it a soothing activity to make lists like: I am a sister, I am a good listener, I am an avid reader etc. Or things I'm thankful for, even if they are small things. Like I am thankful for tea, I am thankful to have lots of rolls of toilet paper. etc. Anyways. I promise there is room for things to get better :)