Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Too "Easily Offended"?

User Profile: CookieBears
CookieBears July 16th, 2018

I recently discovered that people really do think I'm too sensitive to handle much of anything. I don't like talking about dark subjects, making mental health jokes, politics, drug use... It all makes me incredibly anxious.

Apparently this makes me easily offended, triggered special snowflake and I've honestly been beating myself up about it because I hate being called this.

How can I grow a backbone? :(

4
July 22nd, 2018

@CookieBears Well, firstly Cookie, let's tackle that comment on "triggered, special snowflake." It's okay to be upset at certain things, happens to everyone! As for snowflakes? Heck - each one is unique and floating around the cold, brisk air in their own little amazing dance of the winds.

Topics such as the ones you stated are concerns people have that are brought up sometimes even brought up in everyday discussions! You want to grow a backbone, but I think you already have one. You have integrity. You have upright about what you feel, honest about how you feel them, and relate your morals back onto the community. That is someone with a "backbone" would do. If these issues keep on nagging at you and tend to be extremely bothersome, writing down your exact thoughts about them is a great way to clear up and freshen your mind. Positive energy can be brought into negative subjects. It may be difficult to articulate or communicate what we desire others to hear, however reaching out in the form of this post is a great start! heart

User Profile: roseMelody95
roseMelody95 July 23rd, 2018

@CookieBears I'd say that you do already have a backbone, because you're enforcing your boundaries, which is something strong and healthy people should do. I think rather than you being too sensitive, some other people are maybe not being sensitive enough. Being sensitive and caring can a good thing, although of course it can also be difficult if it means you get hurt more easily.

User Profile: calmPaul281
calmPaul281 July 25th, 2018

HI @CookieBears. Thanks for sharing, I might be wrong but it sounds to me like you might be doubtling yourself a bit.

Has anythig happened recently which has led to thinking this?

I don't like talking about dark subjects, making mental health jokes, politics, drug use... It all makes me incredibly anxious.

I am just wondering what your thoughts are when these topics come up, before the anxiety kicks in? I din;t know if you know but anxiety is can be what we experience when we feel threatened, a result of the flight or fight response. And I'm wondering what you percieive the threat to be.

Apparently this makes me easily offended, triggered special snowflake - this might be someone elses opinion but it doesn't neccessarily make it true. And after all is other peoples opinion something you are able to control?

I hate being called this. - And it might seem obvious but I was wondering why? why do you beat yourself up about this?

You are a special person, and a unique one. And thats what makes you you.

I don't know if that helps you in anyway I hope so even if its just a small bit!

Take care
paul

User Profile: AbejaReina
AbejaReina July 26th, 2018

I think it takes practice. Allowing yourself to be in difficult situation. A lot of the times your anxiety will decrease and you'll be surprised that you can handle more than you think <3 Take it slow and be nice to yourself. Try not to judge yourself because it's not easy to do.