Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

What do you think are the biggest misconceptions about having anxiety?

User Profile: AbbyHarris1976
AbbyHarris1976 May 7th, 2019

What are some of the major misconceptions that you think people may have about your anxiety that you wish they would understand better?

For me, sometimes people tell me to

13
User Profile: Daisy7cups
Daisy7cups May 9th, 2019

@AbbyHarris1976

I am introvert and have anxiety too.People often misunderstand me.

The biggest misconception about having anxiety is they feel, when one has anxiety they cant sort out things in a better way and are really cry- babies. And they forget that we are able to deal with hard times even in a better way. I have social anxiety, coz , i have had many fake friends, who alienated me and hardly talked with me, coz they never understood me. It created a deep hole inside me, coz i always used to question, who is a potential friend and who are those fake so called friends carrying many veils of fake smiles.

People often label me as too much concerned, coz its takes time for me to talk with a person. Yet when i find some like minded people, am ready to talk with them always and form stable friendship with them. Coz as a human being, i have emotions and worries as well, and i need some shoulder to rest and share about what i feel. And i will also respect and take care of them too.

Social anxiety doesnt cause hindrance, its just that we have it. Yet when i meet a good friend ahaha, am the joker. I gues hahah Abby, hahha you know me better smiley . Its so nice, i found you and have a friend like youlaugh.

Take care, Have a good day ahead.

User Profile: Mountainmystic777
Mountainmystic777 May 9th, 2019

@AbbyHarris1976 the biggest misconception ive faced regarding anxiety is that " you should calm down" had it been that easy i would not have been in my position in the first place. secondly, people are considered anxious only if you show the common symptoms like excessive sweating, hyperventilation etc; people with intrusive thoughts and all are considered just to be people who "over analyze and over react"

User Profile: AbbyHarris1976
AbbyHarris1976 OP August 21st, 2019

I want to bring this thread back up again because it is very important to keep discussing this. 👍

One of my absolute pet peeves when Im feeling anxious, even to the point of panicking, is when people tell me to just chill or calm down but come off as sounding frustrated with me or having contempt toward me rather than actually trying to help me relax. 🙄

In online communication such as even 1-1 chats with a listener who I would theoretically expect to understand and empathize with those having anxiety, I often feel more comfortable and relaxed during the chats if they use positive emojis when posting to me, but there are times when they wont honor that request even when I have requested over 3 times and mentioned that I am less apprehensive if they use them more often when chatting with me. 🤔 After all, if theyre intending to help the member, they would honor the members request to help them feel less anxious and more relaxed, right? 💡

User Profile: Daisy7cups
Daisy7cups August 21st, 2019

@AbbyHarris1976

Am sorry that about the tough situation, I can understand and relate with the importance of emojis in chats when it is a online 1-on-1 chat. As using emojis helps one express the state of mind and relate with one and as well understand the feelings. As the other person feels free to open us when they get a favourable ambience to speak which is non judgemental and friendly ☺.

I hope that listener will understand and will respect ur opinions and views as well and you both can work on together. Calming down is easily said but it's hard to do, but having some good people to talk with really helps a lot to calm down that what we can do alone😀.

Take care, have a good day ahead.

User Profile: AbbyHarris1976
AbbyHarris1976 OP August 22nd, 2019

@niceDaisy36

I hope so, too ... Im willing to start over if they are, but its only gonna work if they know what they gotta do to earn my trust and then go and do it. 👍

In my opinion, emojis are kinda like tone of voice when speaking to someone. If you get pulled into your bosss office, for example ... if they sound happy and smile when theyre talking to you, youre gonna be less anxious than if they dont. Same goes for when a Listener who Ive not yet chatted with puts me in the 1-1 box for the first time. 😊

User Profile: Daisy7cups
Daisy7cups August 23rd, 2019

@AbbyHarris1976

Yes sister, you are right. A kind gesture, a smile, makes us feel at home and just feel free to carry on the conversation😊.

I always use emojis in my chats and I prefer that the other person also use emojis. I hope you can tell the listener to use emojis as it will help the chat to move forward in a friendly way and wont cause anxiety, and if they don't use much emoji, just let it be fine, you can talk with them. But gradually inhope they will as well use emojis, coz who doesn't like emojis? 😀😁.

load more
load more
load more
User Profile: Emilyc103
Emilyc103 August 24th, 2019

I think the biggest misconception is that it's consistent. Sometimes I can go a while without thinking about it.

User Profile: AbbyHarris1976
AbbyHarris1976 OP September 9th, 2019

I am posting the link to this thread here because I think toxic positivity leads to these misconceptions about anxiety ...

https://www.7cups.com/forum/TraumaSupport_60/Ongoingdiscussions_1981/PopupdiscussionSeptember5th2019ToxicPositivity_208371/