Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Cant find my voice

User Profile: missld5
missld5 February 2nd, 2015

I find it very difficult speaking in front of groups especially with people i dont know very well and especially guys. I find in class I havent got the courage to speak up or voice my opinion, Im terrified of feeling embarrassed or whatpeople will think of me if i speak. Im also afraid if I say something that makes no sense or sounds stupid. Im looking for tips on how to overcome this anxiety. I want to have the courage to speak up and give my opinion and to also not be afraid!

2
User Profile: electricLove3
electricLove3 February 3rd, 2015

Hey there! I am the same way. It is so hard for me to string a few sentences together sometimes when I am talking with coworkers or strangers. I am getting better at it (slowly but surely), and I think the biggest factor in overcoming my social anxiety hurdles is exposure. Recently, I have just been trying to put myself in little situations where I have brief exchanges that don't feel too overwhelming. I may stumble over my words a bit, but I have been trying to be kinder to myself when I do and give myself credit for putting myself out there. Progress is progress, no matter how small. :)

My natural defense mechanism is to just give in to the anxiety and avoid the situations, but it only make my anxiety more intense. I think once we get more comfortable talking in lower pressure scenarios, it might get a bit easier to participate in class or give a quick presentation.

User Profile: giggleHoney76
giggleHoney76 February 3rd, 2015

Have you considered looking into Toastmasters International> I think what you're describing is exactly their forte.

From what I understand, there's no fee to attend a local meeting as a guest to see what it's about and whether it's what the person wants. Membership information is on their web site.

https://www.toastmasters.org/

Good luck with your training,