Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Social anxiety and social justice

User Profile: Daydreamer47
Daydreamer47 December 31st, 2015

Hello,

I've had social anxiety for a long time, but it's become more stressful recently as I've become more involved in social justice/activism efforts. When I try to go out to meet new people, I feel particularly sensitive if someone says something racist, sexist, etc. If I speak up, they may react negatively, and I feel isolated from the group, but if I don't speak up, I feel like I am hiding my values/upsetness and thus still feel isolated. Any thoughts/help??

Sarah

11
User Profile: Joost96
Joost96 December 31st, 2015

Hey Sarah,

I have a pretty bad case of social anxiety as well so I know exactly what you are talking about and how hard it is and what it does to you but I'm going to try and be as helpful as I can.

Things I always try to remember is that people always recognize the difference of someone who is nervous , uneasy or insecure and someone who is just dumb , this always something I struggle with that people think my opinions are dumb stupid or I can't bring across my point but no opinion is stupid or wrong , they might not agree with what you say and they might let you know that but they will still respect that you have your own opinion and of course there are a bunch of jerks out there but it's worth taking the risk if you ask me and if you regret saying something just laugh it of like it wasn't serious they won't waste their time thinking was it serious or not if you just say so ,they will take your word for it.

hope it helped because it's a waste to let people not know the real you , the you with your own view on the world, trust me people are interested in how you see things.

Joost

2 replies
User Profile: Joost96
Joost96 December 31st, 2015

And there is this dutch saying I just thought of that might help : "who remains silent , agrees" basically it means if you don't say anything people will assume you agree with what has been said and if it is something racist for example , the person who said it will think it is okey because everyone agrees or at least doesn't mind and if it is really hard to just say that it is bad just act like you don't understand the statement and then they will have to explain it and they know it's bad to say of course , so it will be uncomfortable for them and funny for you

Joost

1 reply
User Profile: igetcha
igetcha January 7th, 2016

@Joost96 I love the idea to act like you don't get it. Thanks!!! This is literally the answer to half my problems haha

load more
load more
User Profile: squib
squib December 31st, 2015

It's better to be yourself. I've done both - stay silent sometimes, speak out others - and as long as you claim your values respectfully it should work out fine. And consider this - suppose others react negatively to your taking a stand. Isn't it better to know who they are, and to let them decide for themselves whether to accept the real you, than to have them make incorrect assumptions about your beliefs and "accept" you only because they are mistaken about who you really are? And remember that often there are others who may be too timid to say anything, who will see you in a new and positive light when you voice what they wish they were brave enough to say. (Think about how relieved you would be if someone else in your group said the thing you feared to say!)

At the same time... don't beat yourself up if you find you can't always muster the strength/energy to "speak up" in every instance. It can be hard, even if you don't have social anxiety!

User Profile: igetcha
igetcha January 7th, 2016

I feel ya. I always think of the perfect comebacks after the fact haha. I usually just give em a weird look & say "that was mean" or racist or sexist or whatever. I keep it short but let em know I really hope they don't actually believe that. Ya never know it might be the 1st time they realize maybe they shouldn't

User Profile: Daydreamer47
Daydreamer47 OP January 18th, 2016

thanks everybody for your responses. follow up question: is it ok to take time away from the type of people who get really defensive and spend more time with more like-minded people? i feel like my social anxiety makes me a selective extrovert sometimes, like I get energy from people if I feel like I belong better with or if we have mutual interests.

5 replies
User Profile: squib
squib January 18th, 2016

@skinicki Absolutely - you have every right to "recharge" and relax! Indeed, it's probably essential. As long as you maintain the ability to interact with non-"like-minded" people with respect this is no problem at all.

1 reply
User Profile: Daydreamer47
Daydreamer47 OP January 19th, 2016

@squib yeah and I feel more patient and less irritable when I have "me time"

load more
User Profile: igetcha
igetcha January 19th, 2016

@skinicki Spending time w/ people who understand, support & inspire you is essential to stay sane & focused on your goal. Keeping in tough w/ friends who inspire & support me gives me the energy & patience to stay focused on my goal of making an impact even when my environment makes me want to withdraw. Contact w/ like minded people reminds me they're out there & someone understands my efforts even if it's not the people I have to interact w/ during them. It's a perspective I need to keep going & not get lost along the way (as much anyway.) My social anxiety gets a lot worse when I just interact w/ difficult people all the time w/o spending any time w/ people who get me. It's about the ratio. I need a dose of chill to not go into withdrawal ;)

2 replies
User Profile: Daydreamer47
Daydreamer47 OP January 19th, 2016

@igetcha yeah that is a great perspective! thank you.

1 reply
User Profile: igetcha
igetcha January 19th, 2016

@skinicki anytime :)

load more
load more
load more