Social anxiety from childhood trauma, yet being extroverted at the same time
Hey all,
Just thought I would share an experience from yesterday that occurred at a after church social activity.
I've always been the people person, but at the same time, I've dealt with the paradoxical fear of the Authority figures. Or just basically anyone the trauma side of my brain would perceive as a threat.
So anyway, as a new guy there, I'm sitting at a table and watching as people I don't know or about to come sit by me. I told myself that I was fine that I was safe and that all it would take is being in conversation with these people and everything would be fine.
Which, of course, that turned out to be the case. But the amount of worrying and anxiety that my brain did beforehand to protect myself, so to speak, is so annoying.
I can only imagine that so many of you can relate to this kind of a situation. Especially when you know that for who you are you actually enjoy the company of other people.
@sereneSunset26
I completely relate. It is like our innate sense is to avoid social situations, but then once we engage, it turns out to feel ok/good. I admire that you are so self-aware and you can reflect back that while this is not easy, you are doing it!