Stepped out of the comfort zone for the first time in a while, got slammed right back in
I struggle a lot with interacting with people I don't know. One of the first goals I set for myself was to find some people to play Destiny 2 with. I kept relapsing into trying to get my (uninterested) friends to play, and finally gave in and joined an LFG Discord. I tried for six hours to find anybody to run a single mission with me. I even was responding to people and trying to join in, and I swear, it's like I was a ghost. Just flat-out ignored. Ended up mass deleting all of my messages. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow.
@Grabshock Hi, I know this is completely unrelated to your problem. But Discord sounds fun, I've always been wanting to use it properly but never really know the how-to. Probably you can teach me?
I have zero familiarity with video games, but from what I heard from my friends, the relationships forming there are one of the most tenuous types of relationships. You are practically strangers who don't even know each other's names. People come in and out of associations (I forget what they are called in games), internal spat after losing some contest, and many other dramas. What I'm trying to say is that don't let it affect your mood or make you think that you're some outcast/misfit just because people ignore you in video game realm.
@Grabshock hello, thank you for posting <3
Stepping out of your comfort zone is really scary and it's always either really good or really bad no inbetween ; -;, i'm sorry to hear you got ignored. That must've felt like a punch in the gut :(
The problem with big servers is that usually people aren't usually that active. If they are, they've already established who to talk to. If it wasn't a big server, the same problem but with deadness and not being active. For what its worth, I'm really proud of you for actually trying to find other friends to play with. It's really disheartening when your old friends aren't interested in playing anymore or never were to begin with and finding new friends is scary and difficult.
The important thing is, you're ready to try again tomorrow. That's good. Don't, don't give up. You'll end up finding friends and you'll be thankful you ever started. Keep me updated?
@Grabshock it sounds like the discord group was the problem, not you! Perhaps that one wasn't the most open, someone going to an LFG chat should be met with, you know, a group to join! You can always try again, maybe in another group :) I know my mom is super into Destiny and I think she met people using Band? Not sure how she started but that was the main platform anyways, and it took her a long time to find people to play with, and then when she did sometimes they weren't a great fit, but then she joined an all girl group that she felt was awesome, and eventually she outgrew that group and made her own with people she randomly met throughout playing and LFG chats, and now she's had a pretty solid group for many years now that she calls her friends, have met up several times irl, etc, so... all that to say, it can take time for these things, but if it's what you want then that initial discomfort is worth it! One day without finding someone isn't a loss, it's a step you made for yourself in getting comfortable putting yourself out there. It can be super scary, and feel so awful when you get ignored. But that's their problem of not being open and welcoming like they're supposed to. It's like on here, if you go to the group chat and you get ignored, that is a problem with the people in the room, not with you at all. Trying again might mean going into the chat with new people active, who actually know how to be receptive to new people joining :) or going into a different chat that just has better people in it. You're doing great by trying! Even without the results you wanted, you were still 100% successful in putting yourself out there and giving it a shot. Feeling embarrassed or frustrated and deleting your messages can be understandable :P maybe the next step to work towards is trying to not take it personally (remember, the problem is not you), and getting more comfortable with having your messages stay, your presence is allowed there, your voice is allowed. Although I hope when you try again you don't even have to worry about that! But it can happen, it's the nature of group chats sometimes. You did awesome by reaching out and trying something scary because it's what you wanted