Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Has raising a Puppy made your mental health worse? 🐶🐕

User Profile: Drifterbynature
Drifterbynature October 17th, 2024

I would like to hear the perspectives of you good people 😊

I know this may sound like a strange question, considering how much joy Puppies can bring and I think I would absolutely adore raising a Puppy 🐶 . BUT... I just don't know if my situation is compatible with raising a Pup.


I'm long term unemployed, due to struggles with my mental health. I have an apartment, live alone and have no support from friends or family. I live with C-PTSD, OCD and Depression. For which I take medication to help me sleep.


I have taken care of children and animals before in my life and have wanted a dog for as long as I can remember. I'm just not sure if I will be able to manage it or if it could cause my mental health to deteriorate. So, if you'd be so kind to offer your honest perspective, based on experience, I would be very interested to hear them. Thanks for your time and responses 💪

23
User Profile: Drifterbynature
Drifterbynature OP November 20th, 2024

Thank you all for your positive and helpful messages.

I felt with where I'm at in my life currently that a cat, which was my close second choice, would be more suitable.

But I think perhaps a dog one day could be really good for me, in different circumstances.

Appreciate you all 👍

User Profile: aryaokay
aryaokay November 20th, 2024

@Drifterbynature Great question. I've got CPTSD and OCD too, and have taken care of many dogs in the past decade. Consider how much time/energy/finances you can expend on caretaking and alternatives when you don't feel well - e.g., automated feeders/water fountains, pee pads, petsitters, etc. With puppies, sometimes it can feel exhausting to match their energy levels/chaos. Once I was physically ill on top of mental illness and was barely able to get food in my puppy's bowl throughout the day. Although the animals themselves have been an absolute delight and have never directly deteriorated my mental health, sometimes I've been frustrated/ashamed if I cannot fulfil the pet's needs. 

1 reply
User Profile: Drifterbynature
Drifterbynature OP November 20th, 2024

@aryaokay Appreciate you sharing. I think when my lifestyle is more suitable for a dog I will consider it again. Thanks.

load more
User Profile: greenlemon516
greenlemon516 November 20th, 2024

coming from a huge dog person i say YES! having a dog really helps me with my depression and loneliness. my dog is so smart, it knows when to comfort me when i’m crying or upset - and just that feeling alone makes it totally worth it to me. the companionship and loyalty you’ll receive from a pup is totally worth it especially if you can afford doggy daycare/pet setting which help you manage if it gets to be a lot! look into adopting older already trained dogs too if you don’t think you can handle raising a puppy because it is a lot of work. take care 😊

User Profile: NekoBoyEthan
NekoBoyEthan November 20th, 2024

Hey,

I've personaly found that pets can help with mental heath more than deteriorating it, though there are good and bad days.

I personaly, have a cat and a dog, both strays that i bought home. (Been doing that kinda thing since i was a kid, to the point my mom would say "be good, safe, carefull and dont bring back any more animals" though i nealy always did [lived in the countryside, so not to much of a problem])

If your unsure to get one or not, maybe you could try pet sitting? Idk if there would be much options where you are, but its something you could look into whilst you make the decision.

User Profile: slowdecline48
slowdecline48 November 24th, 2024

@Drifterbynature - No point in repeating what others here have said already. All I will add is this:


From your post, it sounds like you have problems to solve (or at least reduce) in your life already. The smart play would be to work on yourself first...try to get your ship sailing in the right direction without leaks in the hull, so to speak. I'm not saying you should try for perfection--we're only human, after all--but it would make more sense to get your stuff together as much as you can before adopting a dog (or any other animal), whether it's a shelter mutt or not. If you cannot take care of yourself in some fashion, you certainly can't look after a pet...especially a baby one, who needs much training & socialization.
User Profile: Guardian23
Guardian23 November 24th, 2024

@Drifterbynature

Having a puppy makes life worth living. When I lost my brother, I would be sad alot of times. But for some reason when I would spent time with my pups, it made the pain go away for a while. It helped me personally, and I honestly feel as though sometimes we don't deserve them you know, the most cutest, loyal fur friends you'll ever have!

1 reply
User Profile: Drifterbynature
Drifterbynature OP November 24th, 2024

@Guardian23 Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of brother and can imagine you would be sad alot. But I'm glad you had your pups and that they helped ease the pain for a while. I agree, they are wonderful companions. I decided to go for a kitten at this stage in my life. But one day I hope to have a dog. Take care, Drifter

load more