Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Sexuality Interfering With Mental Health

User Profile: Nova0524
Nova0524 October 29th, 2019

Hi guys!

So I came out to my friends as bisexual this month, October 12th. I was under the impression that I could go about my normal life without coming out to my homophobic, Hispanic family. I am the oldest of five children with a single mother, very large extended family and religious grandparents. Homophobia is not uncommon in the Latin community and as I hide this part of my identity from my loved ones, a toll is taken on me daily. My younger sister came out as Bisexual to my family and they made her life a living hell. They cut her off and said her sexuality was just a phase. She is ridiculed everydyay and it has me terrified that they will do the same to me. I am away at college and when I am at school and with friend I feel like a completely different person. I am very close to my faamily and keeping who I am from them has affected my schoolwork and love life. I want toexplore my bisexuality but cannot pursue any relationships out of fear that my family wouldnt accept my partner. I feel myself becoming depressed. Any advice?

0Reply

2
User Profile: CommunityModJordan
CommunityModJordan October 29th, 2019

Hey there, @Nova0524

I'm sorry to hear that your sexuality is interferring with yur mental health!

You deserve support for who you are and you shouldn't have to hide your sexuality out of the fear of your family treating you badly. I'm sorry to hear that's what happened with your sister. I'm wondering, is this something you have/would feel comfortable talking to your sister about?

We are always here for you! heart