How I lost my job, my wife, my kids, my home, and tried to commit suicide twice.
We start in August 16th . I was with Working America, doing door to door election campaign polling. I suddenly could not walk and I had a from meniscus. Since it was at work I went through workers compensation. I got paid for lost wages but every appointment took forever to get approved. October 1st I got my surgery. Then I was given eight weeks of physical therapy. In the meantime, in November, the office was closed and everybody was laid off at work. It was both physically and emotionally exhausting.
In December I had three interviews, but nothing panned out. I joined various activist groups like Washtenaw Reds, BAMN, AA2Ferguson, and Freedom Michigan on various protest marches, letter writing campaigns, and including marching in Ferguson.
In January, our health insurance cut off. No reason at all. Our case worker was either fired or quit, but our insurance was left in limbo. The problem is most of our medication is over $500 or more. So we were off all of our medication for a month. With Sydney being bipolar and etc. This really did a number on her. Not only not having her medication, but going through withdrawal. During this time I promised to stop looking for a job to take care of her and the kids. It took three weeks of calls and voicemail and we finally got a new case worker, but still not insurance. So more calls to supervisors and we finally got our insurance back.
On the Feb 9th, Sydney passed out at a Walmart and hit her head. EMS came and everything and she refused treatment. Since December her blood levels are low and her iron is low. However, no matter how much I tried too encourage her to go to the hospital, she will not.
Then the next day after the kids were in bed, she goes on this rant about Valentines and make a bunch of expectations on me. It hurt my feelings in I wanted to talk about it. She refused, not only to listen or talk, but complete shut off the conversation. The thing about me is that I have this thing. When I get hurt, I do not cry. Instead I get this adrenaline rise and I start to yell. Sydney reacted badly and started to yell back. She threatened to kill me, kill herself and at least one of the kids. She got up and went into one of the kids rooms and I went behind her and grabbed her shoulders to try to stop her. She slipped on some laundry on the floor and fell down. The kids started screaming and reacting. ?You hurt mommy. You are a bully. You are a monster?, they yelled at me. One kid went downstairs and called the police. I locked myself in the bathroom with a pocket knife and tried to kill myself.
I spent the week at a psychiatric ward in a hospital, mile away from home. I told the social worker that was concerned with the safety of my kid with my wife and wanted them to check on them to see if they were okay. I spent the week telling doctors and counselors how I was overwhelmed by everything that happened in my life at the moment. I told them I did not want to kill myself, but was looking for a way out. They told me ihad unipolar ? all depression, no manic. They gave me lythum and I got realized with appointments to see outpatient treatment.
A week later, i saw the psychiatrist that suggested I have a form of ADHD. That would explain much of my childhood and why I don?t cry, but have adrenaline. This Wednesday I had a day of appointments and chores and came home to Sydney drunk and throwing up when she was supposed to be watching the kids. That made me mad. I went down to make dinner and Sydney stated shit and passed our in the living room. Summer threatened to call the police and kicked me seven times. Emily called me evil and punched me. Sydney then got halfway up and told the kids to run and that in was crazy and summer called to police. So back into the bathroom to cut myself.
She has taught the kids I am the evil one that I am a monster. They do not need to listen to me. So I find out at the ER that Sydney was not supposed to have me back in the first place that came back she would lose the kids. So when child protective services came again they made her sign a protective order against me. I cannot see the kids ever again. Even though I did not hurt them.
Instead of being sent back to the psych ward, I was realized to my mom?s with the promise I would continue my outpatient treatment. After all I just started and had not had a chance to see that through yet beyond the first intake appointment.
So there I am. I lost my wife, my kids, my home, my job, and am living in a guest room at my mother?s who fucked up my childhood that I had years of therapy just eating with that. I have no idea what my intentions are. I am just alone and sad.
Nobody replied. Now it is buried. Kind of wish I was too
So sorry! Just wanna tell you that don't give up! I believe you can do it!
I am so so sorry for your loss. This sounds like a whole lot to go through - for anyone. I know I can't help in any way but I'm here to listen. My thoughts are with you
I'm so sorry , nobody deserves like this, everything changes but life goes on, it's a lot to go through but I may not help u in any way, but I will listen :)
I can't help you in any way*
I'm sorry you had to go through that alone. You have a clean conscious, you know you never hurted your kids or wife. God will work in your favor soon, everything will fall back into its place. Continue your treatment and after that you'll be good ready to take on a job and then fight for your family.
@losttoy Thank you for sharing your story. That is a sad and hard road you have been down. You have been faced with obstacles and challenging situaitons. I am so sorry to hear about your situation and your loss. Keep fighting. Keep moving forward. Keep striving for something good in your life. Find the magic & love in the small moments and little things. There is so much love for you in our community and in this space. I am glad you are here, I believe in you and I honor you as a human, a dad and someone who is struggling. Sending you a massive hug!
A man can have cancer. He can choose to take medicine and get treatment. That same man can decide not take medicine and have a DNR order and decide to die gracefully.
I have a mental illness and be given medicine and treatment. But I cannot decide to not to take my medicine and die on my own terms. Do I not suffer enough? Do I need a MRI of my brain to prove i am actually ill?
I am sorry. No one should feel so alone. Please try to start over. Just because you are not in their lives doesn't mean you will never be. Take this time to better yourself and your situation. Then you will be in a better place to at least help your children. As for sydney, she will have to help herself. Sometimes in life we are forced to go back into our old situations, because we need to see them from adifferent perspective. Maybe that can happen for you and your mom. You sound angry with her. Sometimes moms try to do the best they can . Often times situations seem insurmountable. Many times we don't have the strength or tools. Sounds like you too. Please try and be forgiving and move on tofocus on your future. I am glad I came across your post and I hope you know I care. Cause I do. Now how about a little smile....come on I know you have one.....right there.:)
@losttoySo sorry for these brutal events that are happening to you, and all so suddenly.
How were things before all this started?