Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

I want to get medicine, but am scared to ask my parents

User Profile: fangirl01
fangirl01 November 9th, 2016

Okay so yesterday I went to the doctor. Because it was a new doctor, they had me fill out a form/quiz thing. Most of it involved depression, and honestly I didn't fully answer it truthfully. I chose answers that showed that I obviously was depressed, but I milked it a little, because I was worried my mom would see it. After the doctor talked to me and my mom, she asked my mom to leave. We discussed the usual things (like no drugs, drinking, etc.), but she also asked about the form thingie, of course. We talked about it for a while, and yet again I acted like it wasn't as big a deal as it was. But she seemed to see past that, and looked concerned. She asked if I had considered getting medicine, and said she could prescribe me some. But I was yet again scared, so I declined her offer. She said if I changed my mind to please get in touch, though.

And honestly, I've been thinking about it a lot. I have been getting worse, and I do think medicine could maybe help. But I am honestly so scared to discuss it with my parents. I'm worried that they wouldn't take me seriously, maybe even laugh at me. And when I'm thinking about this, I can't help but remember when I tried telling one of my best friends about my depression. She basically told me that I wasn't depressed and said my feelings weren't valid (she has also told me that the world doesn't revolve around me, and said other upsetting things assuming my life is just wonderful). While my parents agreed to letting me see a therapist, it was because I told them that school was really stressing me out. And while I have heard my mom talking about how she suffered from severe postpartem depression, and how it would make sense for me to be struggling with depression at this age, I can't help but worry.

So basically, this is me asking: how do I bring this up to my parents?

2
User Profile: justrosie
justrosie November 9th, 2016

@fangirl01, you are doing everything you need to do. When you start seeing a therapist s/he can help you figure out what you need to do, and even help you address the right things with your parents. Definitely keep being open and honest, especially when you feel safe to do so. It'll keep you on this path to getting the help you need. I know it's all scary and doesn't feel good at times... maybe more times than not, but you keep hanging in there and doing what you've been doing.

User Profile: Aldebaran3000
Aldebaran3000 November 9th, 2016

Woaw i'm so sorry you had that friend unvalidating your feelings, that was really mean and wrong from them... that's one of the worst thing in the world when other deny your right to feel the way you are feeling ! That's just so wrong.
Let me remind you something , yes your own world revolves around you and you should listen to your feeling, yet however be careful not to be controlled by them, that's why if your depression is severely impairing your life, having a therapist and maybe some medication will be really helpful to you. You have all my support into this, stay strong ! Like justrosie said, you're doing everything right it will get better at some point ! <3<3<3<3

About your parent you can just say the doctor offered you a medecine solution to your problems and you wish to try it because you feel like it could help. It can be hard to understand for them because often parents didn't had that same care with depression at their time so they don't really see why and how it can be usefull. You can ask advice to your doctor , you can see your doctor and talk about all this, I believe they can help you find appropriate ways or even documentation for your parents and yourself