Overthinking
I seem to be overthinking all the time and getting more depressed and having a hard time coming out of it.
What do you do to stop overthinking.
@Loveyourfate
I understand how heavy and painful overthinking may feel for you. When it happens to me, I don’t try to stop it forcefully, since it makes the voice in my head louder. Instead, I try to be gentle with myself and shift my focus to my environment : A sound, a texture, my breathing, or even just writing a few of the thoughts down. It doesn’t make the thoughts go away, but it does calm me down.
@Loveyourfate
I wanted to post some advice from the great Greek physician Hippocrates:
"If you are in a bad mood, go for a walk. If you are still in a bad mood go for another walk."
Physical activity helps a lot!
@Loveyourfate I'm a champion overthinker. If there was an overthinking competition at the winter olympics, you'd see me winning gold, no contest.
For me, when I'm overthinking, I pretend to be a little robot with designated tasks. I make a to do list, and go through the motions of chores WHILE overthinking. Eventually, the progress I'm making starts to regulate me a little bit. Otherwise, I sit and scroll and spiral.
Stay active, stay moving, stay positive. Good luck!
@Loveyourfate I completely feel you, because learning to sit with your thoughts is tough when your mind usually feels like a chaotic place to be. Journaling is amazing for this because it gives those heavy feelings a safe landing pad on paper instead of letting them spin inside your head. When you write, don't try to fix or judge anything; just practice observing what comes up like a curious bystander instead of getting swallowed by it. Remind yourself that uncomfortable thoughts are just temporary waves and they aren't facts, and you don't have to run away or distract yourself the second they show up. It takes time, but taking just five minutes to breathe and write without filter helps you realize that you can handle whatever pops up.
@Loveyourfate
Awww I'm so sorry to hear that your going through this at the moment. I unfortunately can't give advice as your the best expert on you but what I can do is sit here with the light on until your light comes back again. You aint alone in this battle and in this fight i promise you.
I am also an overthinker. I am always magnifying the situations so much and keep on thinking about it what will happen if I come across such situation. I used to b so tired after thinking so much about it....Then I realized let what happens I will react on the same day when I face that situation and rest of the days will not bother myself....And I started living in the present moment. It really helped me a lot....