I regularly suffer from loneliness and I found relief in having an inner dialogue with my inner teenager (a sub-personality). Is this normal?
Hi guys,
So I used to regularly suffer from loneliness (for several years). Then I met a girl, and this girl was very into self-awareness. With her, I was able to discover my inner teenager (similar to ones' inner child). Unfortuantely the girl and I are no longer together.
That being said, I regularly started having conversations with my inner teenager. I speak to him from my adult-self perspective, and surprisingly I do not feel lonely when I do this. My only fear is that this is a rather weird thing to do, because I'm essentially talking to myself - even though I know that subpersonalities do exist, and there are TON of books written on "how to heal your inner child" (unfortunately, not too many on how to heal your inner teenager).
I do feel a lot of relief from my loneliness when I do this, because I feel like I have a friend that I can talk to. What are your thoughts on this?
@SoulfulLennie
Do you believe this inner dialogue is harmful in any way? Does it keep you from attempts to socialize? I don't think of things as normal . I prefer to try and think of things in the light of is this harmful to me or others.
It is my belief that we are all suffering in some respect. People often don't look for the source of the pain, but try and escape it in many ways. Some turn to food, drugs, alcohol…while others may get involved in something like painting, reading, or writing et cetera. Even if one escapes in something like reading I would think it be a problem if it is over used.
I hope you continue to be strong.
@SoulfulLennie
My first thought is that there's a reason why we can have both Listener and Member accounts on this site. As a Listener, you take on a role of providing help and support to those in need. Of course, as a person, you can have problems and need to talk about your own issues as well, but that's what the Member account is for. So please get your Member account if you don't have one already, and be aware of which account you're posting from. :) If you're unsure about the different roles and what's ok to do around this site, here's a little overview.
My thoughts on your issue: Well, it's probably not "normal", but that doesn't mean it's a problem. Do you stay aware that you are just talking to, basically a character you created for yourself? Do you stay grounded in reality? Can you evaluate whether that inner dialogue has any negative impact on your life, your relationships with other people, your long-term mental health? Do you still take steps to get out of your loneliness where possible? You seem insecure about engaging in "weird" behaviour, but the only effect you've mentioned is a positive one. Maybe these questions will be useful in processing.