Advice
I want my little Sister To have a good childhood and im worried for her because of the way my parents act.
Before, they use To hit her, until i confronted my mom and asked them To stop, which they did. But sometimes the way they act makes me so mad and sad.
A few days ago my mom came into my and my Sisters room and saw my Sister turn her tablet away. My mom asked what She was watching and wanted To see but my Sister refused and didnt give the tablet so my mom got really mad and started shouting things about safety on the internet, She even grabbed my Sister aggressively and tried To take it from her but failed and i told my mom that i knew what She was watching and it was safe. Im sure She believed me but She was still mad and yelling at my Sister and asked why She wont show her. My Sister started saying She was scared of her and my mom asked why because She hadn't hit or anything recently and that Made me really angry. Then She started saying things like "if youre scared then Go tell your teacher so they'll take you elsewhere and you wont have to see me and your dad again" and after a while She said something about ignoring my Sister until She apologises, they did later that day but its still bothering me.
And yesterday when my Sister had To Go To sleep, i was still allowed to be awake but my Sister didnt like that so She went and told our mom. My dad got angry about it and started saying rude things and called her stupid and stuff. My Sister was crying a long time and asked To sleep in my bed with me.
I hate when my parents get angry, shout and say mean things but then after a while they'll be all loving and caring. On rare occasions they might even apologise, but only when the other tells them to. I want To Go tell them about how i feel about this but im afraid i'll get yelled at or my dad Will start saying things again. Please give me advice on what i should do because i dont know and i really want To help my Sister.
@Atlastorpp
I am so sorry you and your sister are having such a hard time at home. It's not easy to feel like you are walking on eggshells in you home. I imagine is scary for you and your sister because your parents mood changes from loving to angry and physical harm for what seems like no reason. Seeing them lash out at your sister sounds like it's causing you a lot of anxiety. How are coping with what's happening? Do you have any coping mechanisms your sister might benefit from hearing? Do you have a family member or trusted adult you can talk with and get support from? Would it be possible for you and your sister to spend some time outside the house, like studying together at the library , maybe playing a sport, or maybe walking around the neighborhood, for example, to take a break from the yelling and fighting at home?
I guess i usually cope about these things by talking about it with my closest friends. I dont think I have any coping mechanisms that benefit my Sister from hearing (im not sure if i understood that correctly). There are two adults I could go and talk about it but I dont know,, I think I would feel a bit awkward.
Sometimes when I want To hang out with my friends I have to take my Sister with me because She doesnt like to be home alone. I dont really like to Go outside unless im hanging out with friends and I think my sister is the Same? I rarely see her go outside to play, shes very attached To her Phone and tablet. We could go somewhere but I dont know i think it would be kind of awkward.
@Atlastorpp
I understand what you mean. It can feel awkward to have your younger sister along when you hang out with friends. I'm glad that brings you some relief, having the support of your friends. And, if you wish to reach out to the adults for support, that is okay too. It's really about what you are comfortable with.
You mentioned you sister is much more interested in using her electronic devices. Is she a gamer or does she do other things too, like watch YouTube? It sounds like that is comforting to her. Maybe you can help her find new games she might like or explore channels related to her interests or perhaps a new hobby?
It sounds like you are doing the best you can to be supportive of her well being. I think it's so sweet of you to show her how much you care, even when you are struggling with it all yourself.
She often plays Roblox with her friends and sometimes Minecraft. From what I've seen most of the youtubers she watches are the same I used To watch (ItsFunneh, Aphmau, Kubs Scouts, and more). She likes To draw too. I think its a bit funny how alike we are.
I'm not good with finding new things but that's probably because i'm a bit lazy and usually only recommend things I've tried...
So I don't think I'd be succesfull in finding her a new hobby or such because I have about 0 hobbies. I think she could be interested in the youtubers I watch right now but I feel like she's a bit too young for them, so maybe later when she's older. There's one game I could recommend her but i'm not sure it'll be the type of game she likes.
Recently I have started watching anime on the tv and she watches it with me because we have a time when we have to close electronics and I guess she has nothing better to do. I kind of hope She gets interested in the animes so later I could recommend her good ones.
@Atlastorpp
I love that she has taken an interest in anime with you. It sounds like she has some good things she enjoys doing. Drawing and art are great outlets for self expression. There may be free art tutorials on YouTube if she has an interest in learning new techniques for her drawing that would be age appropriate. I'm glad you have each other to lean on when times get tough with your parents' angry behavior. Neither one of you deserve to be treated poorly. I hope that is something you can both remember, always.