Death & Estranged Family Relationships
My grandmother died last night. She has struggled with Alzheimer’s Disease for the last several years, and it definitely got worse over the last year because COVID-19 really limited my family’s access to her in her assisted living facility. She honestly hasn’t known who I am for about two years, so I quit going to see her, because it seemed almost heartless to keep visiting someone who doesn’t know you but feels like they should know you and how hopeless and frustrating that must feel. I did my best to keep up with her through my dad and my aunt, but that was always hard to do because I have a very estranged relationship with my dad and his family. Anyway, I found out last night that my grandmother had been dying for the last 5 days and that they had moved her to comfort measures only around that time. However, no one notified myself or my sisters that she was declining and no one offered us the opportunity to come up and say goodbye to her. We found out she died last night via text message from my dad. My uncle who has not seen or spoken to my grandmother in 5 years was given the opportunity to come up from Arizona to say goodbye, but my sisters and I who live 30 minutes from the assisted care facility were never notified. It all just seems totally messed up and I am SO ANGRY today! I feel like my sisters and I have been robbed from a family moment that we should have been included in and I’m very hurt by my family’s lack of concern for our feelings through this whole situation. I’m just really struggling today. Thanks for listening.
@bloggermom05
I am so sorry for your loss. I know it's very hard to lose someone you love so deeply and I send my heartfelt condolences to you and your family. You have every right to feel angry that you didn't get the opportunity to say goodbye. You have every right to feel hurt that you got the news of her passing via text message. I hope you and your sister are given the opportunity to attend the service so that you can have some measure of closure. Are there other ways you can think of to honor her memory?