How to help my parents
My brother isn’t allowing my parents to see his children and it’s breaking my parents heart.
My mom and dad love my brothers children with all their heart. They’ve sacrificed so much for my brother and his children. A few examples: my mother quit her job to babysit my brothers children, my father picks them up and drops them off to school, my mother also cooks daily for my brother and his family (we all live in the same household)
My brother and his wife are not on good terms with my parents for stupid reasons. It’s an extremely long story but basically, one of the main things is that my brother and his wife are blaming my parents for giving their kids covid.
While yes my parents babysat their kids, they did NOT intentionally give them covid and now bc of the constant blaming from my brother, my mom is traumatized and is afraid to watch their kids.
My brothers wife twisted this situation around and said that my mom wants nothing to do with their kids which has left her no choice but to leave her job to watch her own kids.
We all live in the same household but we haven’t seen them or their kids for about a week now. My mom and dad try to call for their kids to come out of the room to see them but nothing.
I think my brother and his wife are purposely not letting any of us see their kids.
It’s really taking an emotional toll on both my mom and dad. My dad looks so depressed and down and he even mentioned that he just wants to die if he’s not going to be able to see his grandkids.
It’s so heartbreaking and I’m angry at my brother and his wife for doing this to them.
What can I do to help my parents? I want to help them be happy again and show them that their own life is more important than seeing their grandkids. I want to show them how to move on.
Seeing them so down is also taking a toll on me. I feel like I’m going into a depressive state but I’m trying to stay strong for them. I have to show them that we can still be happy and we don’t have to be miserable because of my brother and his wife.
Hi @BNDC
This sounds like a tough situation. And its clearly having a big impact on you and your whole family. Remember how good a behaviour it is that you have reached out here on 7cups for support. Hopefully it proves helpful.
In a situation like this it could be helpful to reflect on each individual involved - what would they say if you asked them why this situation has happened, what has bothered them, what would help make it better? What would your brother say?
Considering the situation from these different view points may reveal a way of navigating it - and helping everyone involved, both your parents and your brother.
Time can also be a healer. Perhaps everyone needs some time to cool off and reflect?