Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

How to help stay at home spouse with cleaning

User Profile: politeFarm5666
politeFarm5666 June 24th, 2021

My spouse stays home with our almost 2 year old son and we live with our sons Godfather. My sons Godfather and I both work 5 to 6 days a week and I am feeling like we do 90% of the cleaning. I don't expect the whole house to be clean all the time nor do I expect perfect cleaning just basics like picking food up off the floor and doing dishes. We have had many conversations about this and I am considering putting my son in half day preschool to see if it makes a difference but I would prefer to not have to go that far.

3
User Profile: Reliablecucumber64
Reliablecucumber64 June 24th, 2021

@politeFarm5666 Caring for someone means you have to always be showing them love, especially at a young age so that they grow up with confidence and love, I understand your frustration but even though your spouse is at home they may not always have the opportunity to clean. I think you should do what's best for your son for his benefit and see if he feels okay to be separated, especially at a very young age, at a school, please don't punish (unintentionally I understand) him just for a test. This isn't mean't to be at all judgemental I really hope it helps.

User Profile: politeFarm5666
politeFarm5666 OP June 24th, 2021

I understand that but he doesn't even keep the toddler distracted while we clean or try to help it makes us feel like he just stays home to stay home, and we feel like we still have to do a lot of the parenting that should be done during the day like flash cards, working on language skills and potty training

load more
User Profile: Navaln
Navaln September 29th, 2021

I think that if you're having some kind of misunderstandings or inconveniences like this one, you should talk. I agree that most of the time, kids are not as time-consuming as everyone says, especially when you keep your child distracted. For example, my son is a fan of this playground https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seije/snake-ladder-climbing-playground-for-kids-1-7-yo?ref=d77866&utm_source=goodevas_gl&utm_medium=post, and I always have a free minute once he starts playing there, so I try to do some chores and check on my son from time to time. I think your spouse can do the same, so there's not a big problem.