Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Just want to feel understood

User Profile: Justapartofmylife
Justapartofmylife May 18th, 2021

So, I'm a 24 year old woman, I live with my narcissistic parents. Their abuse is nothing compared to many stories about narcissistic parents I have read on here but it still hurts. I told my mom yesterday that I was having my cytology today and this morning she offered to come with me but I told her not to worry because I had told my boyfriend to come with me. She immediately got super mad and started yelling at me, saying we needed to have a serious talk, questioning how I even thought of telling my boyfriend to come with me (we're in a stable relationship and he cares a lot about my health), that this wasn't the right thing to do. I calmly told her that I didn't share her point of view although I respect it but she went on with a series of insults toward my boyfriend. He prefers to move on his bike through the city since it's faster and you don't have any contact with people like you would in public transport (you know, cor0nav1rus) but according to her, it's just because he has no money and she says he only keeps me company because he has nothing to do but ride his bike. Well, he's not rich but he does get jobs and constantly applies to different positions. He's an architect, like me, and with his humble earnings he's able to help at his home buying food and he affords to buy me a few expensive gifts like my bike helmet, a Lamy fountain pen and invite me to dinner at nice restaurants. Anyway, she doesn't believe he does have had jobs and swears he's after our house (which costs less than the house he lives in...) and our money. He bought himself a pair of new cycling tights and she was like 'yeah, sure, they're new. You believe everything he says to you'. I literally saw the amazon box arrive at his place and saw him unbox the tights out in front of me, I have gone with him to the places he works at and met his bosses, but she says I only say this to defend him. I'm so tired of living with someone who disapproves of everything I do. Not only my partner, she also disapproved my master's degree choice even though it's an accredited program and it's at the same university I graduated from (number one uni of my country, one of the 20 best in the region and within the top 260 of the world). She disapproves of the jobs I have (most of them in the research field) even though I have tried to explain calmly to her why these jobs are important and useful. So all in all, right now I don't have a stable job, I keep looking but right now the situation in the country is not easy so when we do find jobs they only last two or three months and I don't get paid enough as to move out and live on my own. With this in mind, I have to say I don't know how to detach myself even more from what she says or thinks about my life. I love her but I can't allow her to shape my way of living or thinking and I really don't know what else to do but have patience and save money. Thank you for reading me, I just don't want to feel like I'm the only one this happens to.

1

Sounds like your mom wants to mold you into a version of her. Good for you for not caving in. I can see how living with her makes this a bit unbearable. I think it’s far too common that parents want to mold their kids into mini-me’s instead of letting them grown on their own and become their own person.