My mom, parental figures in general
I've never really had a good relationship with my mom. My first clear memory of her was her trying to throw away one of my childhood comfort objects. Not a very good start, y'know?
She has many medical issues, which puts a lot of stress on my dad and I. I try to be there for her as much as I can, but at some points it's just overwhelming. Just today I was trying to politely tell her about my sensory issues with bright light, and she took it as a joke. I tried to tell her that I didn't appreciate it, and she decided to tell me about how I wouldn't survive in the "real world". She said I'm too sensitive. I'm used to hearing that, but it's difficult when it's about something I can't really control.
I've always been close with my dad, and whenever my mom yelled at me or we had an argument, I would go to him for comfort. Now I find myself becoming attached to father figures in my life. I don't really know what to do? My best friend's dad has shown me a lot of support and understanding, and I just want to make him proud. But I feel guilty about it for some reason. Honestly? Don't know what I'm doing.
@Ollie111
I am sorry to hear things are stressful at home because of your mom's illnesses. Being a caretaker, especially as a teen. I relate to what you are saying about being called too sensitive in a condescending way. It's really hurtful and invalidates your feelings, especially when those words are followed up with negativity such as saying you'll never be able to make it in the real world. Having a sensitivity to bright light is not something you can control. It sounds like your relationship with your father isn't as close as it one was. What do you thing has made the relationship between you and your dad more tense? Are there things you are doing to treat yourself well as a way to cope with what's happening at home?
It sounds like your friend's father has been a great source of support for you. It's nice to know you have support and understanding from their family. It sounds like he has been encouraging, too. I can see why you would want to make him proud. I would encourage you to also make yourself proud, too. Take time to pat yourself on the back for your accomplishments. I know it can be hard to pat yourself on the back but learning to be proud of yourself may give you some added confidence.
You've said you don't know what you are doing. May I ask what you mean when you say that?