Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

New member - caring for two parents with Alzheimer's

User Profile: toughPineapple7043
toughPineapple7043 May 10th, 2021

Hello! I hope I'm posting this in the right place.

I am the only living child of two parents with Alzheimer's. It has rocked me to my core.

After many years of supporting them at home, they are now in memory care assisted living. While that give me some peace from hands on caregiving, I'm still a wreck. I am struggling to figure out how to effectively work with the revolving door of caregivers at my parents' community. And, I am trying to mentally heal from losing my brother and my parents' illness.

My mom has had mental health issues long before the ALZ impacted her. She was emotionally abusive to my brother and me as children and adults.

It's a real toss up whether I should be chatting in Family Relationship Support or in Depression. I'm in need of support with both!

Thanks for reading.

2
User Profile: rockym
rockym May 11th, 2021

@toughPineapple7043

So sorry you are going though this. Just to let you know there is a fantastic group at ALZ.org with a lot of people who are going through this and a lot of discussion. There are people who have been there or are currently in the throws of caretaking. You will get a lot of great support there. I know as I cared for my mom from one state away for 2 years and then 3 years in my state. She was at two different ALs and in the end at an MC. If you have any questions, I can always try to help.

https://www.alzconnected.org/discussion.aspx

User Profile: toughPineapple7043
toughPineapple7043 OP May 18th, 2021

@rockym thanks. I'm familiar with ALZ's website.

load more