Skip to main content Skip to bottom nav

Wanting to advocate for gentle parenting but easily triggered

User Profile: Daydreamer47
Daydreamer47 May 24th, 2022

Hey,

I wonder if you all can relate. As someone who struggled with verbally/emotionally abusive parents, I strongly believe in gentle parenting (also sometimes called conscious discipline I think), basically no yelling or hitting and instead showing empathy and atunement that is appropriate for a child's development and using positive reinforcement tools to help children cope with their development needs and emotional regulation. I follow Mr Chazz who is basically my hero because he talks about how research backs up the approach. I really want to advocate for children being treated with kindness but I find I tend to freeze in the moment when a friend says something I disagree with because it is so personal and triggering for me. I am doing my best to remember if I did try to say something small to speak up or that I can also spread awareness by sharing on social media or something.

-Day

2
User Profile: anxietywarrior23
anxietywarrior23 May 24th, 2022

@Daydreamer47

good for you for wanting to advocate

User Profile: Daydreamer47
Daydreamer47 OP May 24th, 2022

@anxietywarrior23 thanks. I also get really triggered though and frustrated with myself. Like right now I am feeling really frustrated that I didn't say more with this conversation with my friends from today, and I keep thinking "oh I should have said x y z" and having trouble focusing on studying I need to do now.

load more