straw that broke the camel's back
When I was in high school, my family adopted a pit bull, and we named him Bones. I was really surprised when my parents brought him home. My mother had always said she was afraid of pit bulls; she believed all the myths. But I thought, wow, maybe she's changed to be more accepting.
As he grew from a puppy to an adult, I thought she was changing. She had always been volatile, selfish, and rude. But she seemed to be changing, to be looking at herself and seeing what a bond with an animal can bring. She seemed to be learning what its like to love someone for just who they are, and not what they could do for her.
One night a few years ago, she was going home from the bar. She had left him in the car. She was going to bring a "friend" (one of the many people my mom sold/sells prescription drugs to illegally) home, but Bones didn't want to let that person in the car.
Anyone who has had a dog before knows that Bones knew something was up. Hell, she knew. But she didn't want to listen. He did nip her in the face. But let me tell you, my cat has done more damage to my face. I don't want to let her call herself the victim. She's an adult who had many others there to support her, and she still didn't do the right thing.
Not only did she just get rid of him, she did it without telling me. I didn't find out about the situation until after he was gone. I was living away from them in an apartment at the time, but one of my friends' families lives in town. I'm very close with them, and they not only would've taken Bones in a heartbeat, but they probably would've been better than whatever random people my parents did give him to. My parents have no idea where he went.
Why does it matter? It was her chance to show me that she could love something without strings attached. That she could love something without abusing it. I think it was her last chance, because though it's years later, and EVERYONE agrees that it wasn't fair to abandon Bones, she doesn't care. I can't let it go that she gave up on, talked down on, and abandoned the most loyal family member you will find. And I don't know if I want to let it go.
The icing on top of the cake; she not too long after was given a tea cup dog by another "friend". I watch her push that little dog around with no respect. She dresses it up like a doll (to each their own, but if you knew my mom, you'd know she does it for narcissistic reasons). That dog can't harm her in the same ways, so she bullies it however she pleases.
I just needed to rant.
Hey, @pandaprincess9, thank you for sharing your story.
I'm so sorry that you lost Bones in the way that you did. The loss of a beloved, whether a person or a pet, especially in this way, will always be painful. It is a shame that this also meant the loss of hope for your mother. I understand how frustrating that can be, believe me.
Sometimes it is very difficult for people to change who they are if they continuously remain within the environment perpetuating the behaviors. No matter what, the easiest thing is to always "fall back to old habits" and that looks like what is happening here.
Stay strong. Sending you many good vibes your way ❤️