My caregiver and family
Hi, my name is Sandi, i am 41 years old and i use electric wheelchair due to my disability which i have got from birth. I have got very nice caregiver who helps me a lot with many everyday tasks which need muscle strength and joint dexterity, such as transferring me from bed to electric wheelchair, dressing (it ie easier for me if someone helps me as i needn't to bend my joints so much if someone helps me dressing and i needn't to bend myself if someone helps me putting on my shoes). She helps me by personal hygiene too. She helps me picking groceries in supermarket from high shelves and bringing groceries home. Sometimes ithe bag full of groceries can be very heavy. She also helps me cleaning the flat and removing the things which fell to the floor from there. She also helps me cook meals. I like her very much. I am glad that i have got her. She doesn't ask me whether i can do stuff myself - she just does what i ask her to do and she gladly does what i ask her to do. She see that i am not very strong and she has a lot of empathy for me. I need to conserve my energy and not to overexert self as it could be harmful for me even though that i often read that physical activity is beneficial for healthy people. But if i get exhausted it won't benefit me.
Also my brother with his family help me a lot. I spend weekends with them and i have got possibility to rest there while they are working in and around their house and also do all the things needed that i will be able to enjoy the rest together with my parents who need rest too as our energy is limited. But my brother, his wife and my nephews have seemingly unlimited energy as they can be active whole days and nothing hurts them, they feel almost no exhaustion and they are very vivid and have a lot of stamina and dexterity.
I like to rest as my parents like it too and i don't feel bad about it. I am glad that i have got life as i have got it and i am glad that i have got people who help me and care for me so much.
@CheerySandi
I am happy to hear from you Sandi. Thank you for sharing, and I am glad that you have such good and comfortable support in your life. I am proud of you for seeing the good around you, and then for coming here and supporting others.
I am glad that you are here. Thank you for all you contribute.
@mathetmess Thank you very much for your appreciation and kindness.
I like watching my nephews playing with their parents and brother and sister of my brother's wife and their children. It is so awesome to watch them. They run a lot and play different games. I admire them very much. I admire that they don't become tired and exhausted. My mother who sits with me often says that i am sweet and more adult than my brother and other young people (my brother's wife and her brother and sister and all the children) are as i can sit still for whole days. My brother don't see me as a young person but as an old person who needs all the care and comfort and he gladly ensures that i have got all the care, rest and comfort i need. He is so sweet with my parents too. I like it and i appreciate it. I don't see self equal to my brother and his family either. They can do many things i can't and i can't compare to them. Also brother and sister of my brother's wife help me sometimes. I like them all. I can type on computer but doing something strenous such as playing basketball would be too hard for me and would cause exhaustion. They know it and understand it and i appreciate it.
I appreciate very much that i can contribute to 7cups community very much too. I am glad that you see and admire my contribution to 7cups.
@CheerySandi
Sandi, I am proud of you for recognising your own strengths and appreciating the support of those around you. None of us live a life alone. I am glad that you have good support and that you give support back to others.
@mathetmess Thank you very much.
I wish also to share with you what i can do. I can do things which needn't muscle strength and aren't energy consuming, such as writting on computer, drawing, talking to people (but not to screaming), i can also watch my nephews playing and play with them games where i needn't to overexert self (even though they exert themselves with running, jumping around me, etc. I like to play chess too. I also like to watch tv especially when i spend time in bed. I sometimes spend my time in bed in order to get needed rest as my body needs it. I spent some time in the bed today too.
@CheerySandi
great to hear that sandi, i really feel very happy for you, that you really have a good person, and for your support. I can feel what you are facing right now, it's challenging, but i am glad you have someone who can care about you well. I am glad to know this. Thanks to share this, and thanks to spread lots of positivity by this message. ❤️🌻
@CheerySandi thanks for sharing your experience, Sandy. :) It's beautifully written and explained. I'm sure it will help people to learn and understand much better how it is to live with a disability and still make the choices that are important to you. :)
@CheerySandi-- thank you for sharing about your caregiver; I am sure she would like to read it too!
@CheerySandi -- I wanted to reply at greater length that you have also shared about your family support and that would probably mean a lot to them to know that too.
I would also like to say that your long list of things you can do which is very impressive is important for me to read because it's a very positive outlook and very cheerful like your name.
Take care, you contribute so much with your unique voice and I appreciate your comments and perspective here on 7 cups.